No electricity on economy 7

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I bought a property about 5 months ago which had two storage heaters and one convector heater in the bedroom. The property has an immersion tank as well. On economy 7.

The immersion tank doesn't turn on at night (never has since I had the property) but does work with the boost button. I never tried the storage heaters before I recently changed them to Electric radiators.

Problem is that these electric radiators where the storage heaters were do not turn on at all. The radiator in the bedroom does. I have two consumer unit fuse box thingys, one of them powers the electric on 24/7 like lights, fridge etc and the other one has three fuses in which now I've finally realised is for the two storage heaters and the immersion tank over night.

My electrician said that the contactor needs to be removed from inside the meter box? Is this correct? I ask this because his first thought as to why they wasn't working when he installed the radiators was because 'they don't turn on until the e7 hours' but they wouldn't they still receive electricity to the socket's??

Has anyone had this problem before? All the electrics work except for those two sockets and the overnight heating of the immersion tank. I don't know if I'm looking at an expensive fix or not :cry:

Sponsored Links
Cost depends on the set up.
As it is, your elecric radiators will only work between around midnight and 7am (depends on where you are in the UK). Did your electrician not tell you about this rather essential detail??t
HAve you tried that yet? DO they work at night? That will prove that the "off peak" supply is working.
If it doesnt work, then you (or your electrician) will need a proper voltage tester, and the ability to stay up until after midnight.

Once this is established, your electrician could connect the old off peak fuseboard up to the 24hour feed.
There may be a contactor to remove, maybe a timeswitch, but that would be the property of the electricity company and not something that an electrician can tamper with.
it all depends on how it is wired. But, really, you should be having your electrician answer these questions and sort it out for you.

HOWEVER

You will then be paying full whack for all of your heating and hot water. If you are OK with that, you need to call your electricty supplier and cancel the Economy 7 (off peak) electricty tariff as this pushes up the cost of daytime lekky.

NOTE, the water boost button and (probably) the radiator in the bedroom are on the 24-hour supply.

We may get a better idea, if you can post pictures of the incoming supply arrangements, any time clocks, boxes marked "Teleswitch" and of the two fuseboxes.

Cost depends on the set up.
As it is, your elecric radiators will only work between around midnight and 7am (depends on where you are in the UK). Did your electrician not tell you about this rather essential detail??t
HAve you tried that yet? DO they work at night? That will prove that the "off peak" supply is working.
If it doesnt work, then you (or your electrician) will need a proper voltage tester, and the ability to stay up until after midnight.

Once this is established, your electrician could connect the old off peak fuseboard up to the 24hour feed.
There may be a contactor to remove, maybe a timeswitch, but that would be the property of the electricity company and not something that an electrician can tamper with.
it all depends on how it is wired. But, really, you should be having your electrician answer these questions and sort it out for you.

HOWEVER

You will then be paying full whack for all of your heating and hot water. If you are OK with that, you need to call your electricty supplier and cancel the Economy 7 (off peak) electricty tariff as this pushes up the cost of daytime lekky.

NOTE, the water boost button and (probably) the radiator in the bedroom are on the 24-hour supply.

We may get a better idea, if you can post pictures of the incoming supply arrangements, any time clocks, boxes marked "Teleswitch" and of the two fuseboxes.

Many thanks for your reply, yes sorry I forgot to add that I have gone back at night and they still don't turn on. This is what concerns me the most because it's like there is no power what so ever going to that fuse box!

It was the plan to change the tariff I'm on from E7 to a single rate one once they are up and running. Can get photo's when back at the house, I know there are no names on the fuses though which say which each fuse is.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back