Electric Blanket - Safety tip.

K

kai

Now that winter is approaching, it is a good idea to run an electric blanket through a 30mA RCD Powerbreaker Safety Adaptor (the sort they use with lawn mowers etc), in addition to the usual council safety inspection checks etc... ;) ;) ;)

Sponsored Links
No point as the person in bed has no route to earth.

The main dangerous failure mode in electric blankets is a hot spot where the element has been abraded thinner than the rest of the element. This will not be detected by RCD or fuse and may lead to a fire.

Another dangerous fault is when two parts of the element have lost their water proof insulation. In the event of bed wetting the two bare areas may lead to a currrent flow through the wet bedclothes and this may affect the person in the bed. Again there is no path to earth so the RCD will not be tripped.

I agree with Bernard, as the majority of electric blanket related accidents are caused by fire not by electrocution, the use of an RCD will not prevent this.

My electric blanket safety tip?

Throw the dangerous thing away and get a thicker quilt :LOL:

Sponsored Links
My electric blanket safety tip?

Stop being so soft.

Real men don't need electric blankets :D

Are you from dahn saaarf? :LOL:

An old codger when asked if he wanted an electric blanket as a gift said he already had a perfectly good 22 year old bed warmer.

At twenty two years old sir that is going to be a serious risk to you sir.

Yes I know, but in the morning she brings me tea in bed.

An old codger when asked if he wanted an electric blanket as a gift said he already had a perfectly good 22 year old bed warmer.

At twenty two years old sir that is going to be a serious risk to you sir.

Yes I know, but in the morning she brings me tea in bed.
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

And there's me thinking RCD's offered protection against fire risk...

Well, when I use my electric blanket, I attach an earth wire to my big toe, which is connected to the earth terminal of the blanket's plug.

How else do I benefit from the RCD?

Whether me & Mrs Secure get up to any bonding in bed is none of your business... ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back