Electric Boiler - Cooling noise

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Hello,

I recently had an electric boiler installed (Elnur Mattira Mas 15). Boiler works quietly until the room thermostat temperature has been reached, but then goes through a "cooling down" process during which there is quite an audible sound of water circulating for about 20 mins. The noise seems to be coming from the pipework connecting the boiler and the hot water tank.

I haven't used an electric boiler before, and I'm not sure if this is a normal noise with electric boilers. I thought I might check here whether anyone has similar experience, or perhaps might be able to explain to me what is going on so that I can discuss with the installer.

Sponsored Links
what controls do you have ? post pics of any zone valves etc that you have , do you have a by-pass, do you have a HW cylinder ?

There are just two zones, for hot water and heating. The motorised valve to control the hot water is on the bottom left of the hot water tank photo, and the heating valve is to the rear of the tank on top ( I think).

Reading the user manual I think the pipe shown below the boiler may be the heating system by-pass, this is where I can hear the water circulating when the system is cooling.

Hope this helps, and thanks for your response.

Attachments

• Boiler.jpg
    Boiler.jpg
    192.6 KB · Views: 54
  • Hot water tank.jpg
    Hot water tank.jpg
    212.8 KB · Views: 54
Hi Again
yes that is indeed the by-pass, you could try adjusting it and see if it alters the noise, as for your other pic , I admit I have absolutely no clue what is going on with that setup seems all over the place

Sponsored Links
Thanks for confirming it is the by-pass, it will be helpful when I'm talking to the installer again. Yes, I noticed when the installer adjusted the valve on the by-pass it altered the noise, so at least I'm a bit wiser now.

Thanks for confirming it is the by-pass, it will be helpful when I'm talking to the installer again. Yes, I noticed when the installer adjusted the valve on the by-pass it altered the noise, so at least I'm a bit wiser now.
just mark the position and count the turns as you experiment with it, if it doesnt solve the problem you can just set it back to what it was origionally at, you cant do any harm to your boiler by over adjusting it

basically what the By-pass does, when the demand for CH or HW ceases any residual heat within the unit must be dissipated to stop what is called stratification and can damage the boiler, basically get rid of the heat, so the By-Pass is used to circulate this energy, but as the pump does not know where the heat is going it will run until stopped by the pump over run set up in your boiler, getting this right can be a lot of trial and error, on some systems it is better to have an unrestricted radiator in a bathroom or kitchen which is used to dry towels etc so the excess heat can be dumped there , all trial and error just play with it untill you get a decent medium,

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back