Pipe noise after new boiler installed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, we have a new electricity boiler and a cylinder installed to replace the broken old gas boiler. The pipes are all connected and the boiler is switched off.

Then I start hearing the noise from two of my bathroom. The noise likes the water keeps flowing into the sink or water are being poured into the sink some where.

It is very quite when the old boiler is working. So must be something with the new boiler. They did a powerflush before the new boiler fitted.

Any help will be very much appreciated! can not go to sleep at all with the noises.

Sponsored Links
Hi, they are coming back tomorrow.

but i worry they will say there is nothing they can do and insist they installed everything properly.

it's maybe better to get some advice here first to prepare the discussion with the installers.

Sponsored Links
Hi, thanks for your reply.

They are Heatrae Sadia Amptec 9KW electric central heating boiler

and 125 litre high efficiency hot water cylinder including immersions and fittings.

I am not sure. The installer just bring the big box and connected with the pipes.

The cylinder and boiler are very quite in the cupboard.

Frow what I can guess (being the operative word) You may have a Megaflow (Also Made by Heatrae Sadia) and that the sound of running water you are hearing could be the expansion relief valve.
When do you hear the sound?

Thanks for your reply.

The noise is there all the timein the bathrooms since the pipes are connected with the boiler since last evening.

But I only noticed since last night. The bathrooms are quites far away from the boiler and cylinder.

The cylinder's brand is gledhill. I am not sure it has the same design as the megaflow.

Is there any way to confirm the cause and solutions?

It's a bit difficult to diagnose a noise sometimes. (when you can't hear it for yourself).

If it is a Megaflo, water discharging into the tundish would be a sign!

You say you can hear water running running down a waste constantly?

Do you have a tank above the hot water cylinder?

I expect both the toilet overflows are running now that it is on mains pressure, float valves will be letting by.

NB: I should put some money by for the winter. Electric heating will cost you 13p per kwh, gas around 4p per kwh. So your heating bill will be going up >300% from now on :cry:

I expect both the toilet overflows are running now that it is on mains pressure, float valves will be letting by.

NB: I should put some money by for the winter. Electric heating will cost you 13p per kwh, gas around 4p per kwh. So your heating bill will be going up >300% from now on :cry:

This is true, I am only assuming that the OP has a Megaflo now as they havn't given that much detail.

when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth?

It's a bit difficult to diagnose a noise sometimes. (when you can't hear it for yourself).

If it is a Megaflo, water discharging into the tundish would be a sign!

You say you can hear water running running down a waste constantly?

Do you have a tank above the hot water cylinder?

Yes, there is plastic tank above the cylinder.

The noise sounds like the water running down a waste constantly and all the pipes in the bathrooms are inside the wall. Do think the noise can relate to any water leaks? I did not notice any water.

Thanks for the reply. What does that mean about the toilet overflows? Does it related to the noise?

Yes, the bill will be higher than gas. But due to the new regulation, only electricity boiler can fit in the current position.

If you have changed from a vented hot water system to a unvented hot water system then there is every chance the supplies to your toilets have changed from low pressure to mains pressure. which means if the installer hasn't changed the seatings in the float valves from low to high pressure ones, then the float valve will let by and the cistern will overflow.

Lift the lid on the toilet cistern to see if the water is at a high level, running into the overflow pipe or alternativly is there water running into the pan constantly

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back