Noisy condense drain, how to stop?

Discussion in 'Plumbing and Central Heating' started by kitessurfer, 9 Aug 2021.

1. kitessurfer

kitessurfer

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi all, bit the bullet had new boiler installed, now everytime water goes down sink get noisy gargling sound from boiler condense. How can I plumb to get rid of noise ?? Any ideas please. Pipe coming down in pic is new drain from boiler

Attached Files:

2. Sponsored Links
  3. CBW

CBW

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Quite hard to tell on that photo, but it looks as though the pipe has a back fall. Did the noise happen straight after installation or gradual?

4. bernardgreen

bernardgreen

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    You need to fit an air break ( Item 2 ) between the boiler condensate pipe and the drain pipe. This will then prevent pressure changes in the drains from affecting the condensate trap that is inside the boiler.

upload_2021-8-9_7-36-8.png

A quick fix ( which may not be "legal" ) is to re-route the condensate pipe as in the red line. A slightly better would be the blue route with a "T" junction to the stand pipe.

In either case the condensate pipe must end above the end of the grey drain hose to prevent water under pressure from the grey drain hose entering the condensat drain pipe

upload_2021-8-9_7-26-14.png

5. polesapart

polesapart

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Installation fault - get installer back to remedy at their expense.

• Like Like x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. kitessurfer

kitessurfer

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks all for feedback. I won't call the guy back, for two days work changing 40year old boiler he charged me half what two other plumbers quoted. Such a genuine and honest tradesman, won't pull him up on this one, recommended from a colleague.
    Yes the noise did come immediately after installation. I'm in middle of kitchen install and will consider rerouting plumbing. I have three appliances, the new boiler pipe, dishwasher and washing machine. Washing machine waste you can see, dishwasher waste connects under sink, I was thinking to buy under sink waste with two waste connections so I can liquidate the washing machine waste you see, then add a further connection in under second sink and run flexible waste pipe from condensate. That all said, I shall digest all suggestions. Appreciate feedback you've all given.

• Like Like x 1
  7. kitessurfer

kitessurfer

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    What an installation, look top right the entry to wate is next to electrical socket, one reason I want to move or liquidate this type of waste connection from washing machine.

Attached Files:

8. Sponsored Links
  9. kitessurfer

kitessurfer

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Fixed. No more noise. Got rid of solvent joints, brought pipe down to undersink and fitted additional waste connection, two in use, one blocked. I realise it's not intended for how I fitted it, bought wrong part. But I've elliminated nearly ten joints that could have been potential points of failure, though introduced a few more under the sink. Am considering running waste from washing machine to under sink to get rid of 40mm waste so I can get appliance closer to wall and have nice line for new kitchen that's in progress

Attached Files:

Last edited: 22 Aug 2021
  10. HERTS P&D

HERTS P&D

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:!

Should of called him back, your repair is even worse,.........................................now we know why he was cheaper!

Andy

11. kitessurfer

kitessurfer

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    . No more noise from condensate pipe )

12. Madrab

Madrab

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Anything to do with the condensate should really be dealt with by the installer (who is gas safe registered I would hope). It isn't really a DIY Job. Have you checked that nothing has become dislodged within the boiler? Or is that condensate pipe through the wall and mortared in? the way it is piped now, the sink draining and/or the washing machine could potentially pull on the condensate trap removing the seal.

Note item 4 ... most boilers traps have a 75mm seal these days so an air break not always needed depending on the termination or the MI.

That being said, always good practice to have an air break where possible to avoid the condensate trap being pulled dry, as may happen in this case.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. kitessurfer

kitessurfer

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Finally completed kitchen last Dec 2021. All my own work, apart from gas connection, boiler and worktop fitting. On off 6 months over some weekends. Still few bits to sort but happy with outcome

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  14. kitessurfer

kitessurfer

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    What it looked like before though already cabinets off the wall

Attached Files: