Sink drain pulling vaccum on boiler condensate trap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

When I drain the sink in my kitchen I can hear the boiler bubbling, it's the condensate trap pulling water down the overflow pipe into the drain which goes into the same drain as the sink.

Is this normal?

Sponsored Links
But it’s after the sink drain trap so gases from the drain can come back up then?

Sponsored Links
Pic attached

Attachments

• IMG_1990.jpeg
    IMG_1990.jpeg
    208.8 KB · Views: 55
You need to show the rest of the pipes. Where they come from, where they go to, how they are connected

The one coming from the top to bottom is the trap for the sink into the drain. Before the trap it has a washing machine connected and a double sink.

The one coming from the left os the boiler condensate overflow

That condensate 3/4" overflow pipe into the tee is bad practice. Better to have it inch and a half pipe, less chance of it blocking. If it blocks the boiler condensate will back up and shut the boiler down. Alteration needed.

Show us please.

And what does the rest of that pipe look like?

Pictures attached. Obviously the boiler condensate trap pipe is behind plasterboard now

Attachments

• IMG_1998.JPEG
    IMG_1998.JPEG
    325.2 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_0603.JPEG
    IMG_0603.JPEG
    362.3 KB · Views: 92
Replace the top 90d bend with a tee and fit a durgo.

While your at it, sort that hose out for the dishwasher or washing machine. The appliance will die prematurely.

Replace the top 90d bend with a tee and fit a durgo.

While your at it, sort that hose out for the dishwasher or washing machine. The appliance will die prematurely.
Ah thats a good idea!

Actually found a u bend with a valve built in - this will save having to pull out all the glued sections which go into the waste

Thanks for heads up about waste pipe!

Ah thats a good idea!

Actually found a u bend with a valve built in - this will save having to pull out all the glued sections which go into the waste

Thanks for heads up about waste pipe!
That's worth a go. You might find that it's not big enough but its a good start.

I'm very happy with a trapped indoor standpipe for my condensate, but that would be awkward for you to fit now the kitchen has been built over the plumbing.

Yeah for £10 worth a try before I start pulling out glued in pipes!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back