Electric Boiler or Gas Boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am in the process of planning hot water & heating system for a conversion of a premises into a three units: small studio and two small one bedrom flats.
The question is, what are the pros & cons between installing electric or gas boilers. Will installing an electric system reduce the overall cost and maintinance on regular basis.

Would appreciate if someone had such an experience or any views are welcome.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
THIS may be of assistance as may the best practice house at Here

There will be more info I suppose if you click about.

Apart from that I see 3 ways of looking at it each with 2 extremes

As a Builder just involved in the refurbishment You will want the cheapest way of getting the job done therefore all electric will be your choice. A clever builder [Is there such a thing?] will have put a lot of effort into making the property energy efficient and improving its SAP rating and increasing his profits. These efforts will be rewarded by an improvement in his reputation and the extra he can charge for a super efficient product.

As a landlord again you will want the cheapest job done therefore all electric will be your choice but you will forget that a happy tenant is one without big bills, meaning that if they are in a case of fuel poverty then your rent money will be second place to them keeping warm. This results in the tenant moving on and you getting NO RENT in the meantime.
A wise landlord will know this and invest accordingly on energy saving measures for which tenants will be happy to pay a little extra for. Sadly there are too few wise private landlords!

As a tenant or buyer you will want the warmest and cheapest to run place to live if you are at all savvy. Unfortunately there arent many of those around either! and people; especially couples and channel 4 watchers, where the lady wears the trousers will buy or rent according to the decor and appearance of the bathroom suite and design of the kitchen etc. The best time to sell or rent to these idiots is during the summer when central heating is the furthest thing from their mind.

Not ruling out electricity here as to the inhabitants benefit are things like: theres only one standing charge to pay. They dont have to arrange access if they are a tenant for an annual gas safety check and the landlord benefits by not having to pay for this as well as savings on servicing.
With electric at up to 3.5 X the price of gas Do you think their bills will be reasonable?

You also have the practical issues to deal with here. Three combis which are easy to administrate but expensive to install and maintain
or one communal heating system with shared bills and arguments [best choice in my book if you can get over the who pays what of it]
or 3 electrically heated set ups with economy 7

It all depends on too many variables for me to answer here with the information given.
All I can say is dont be shy when spending time and money on energy effiency and use it as a selling point to reap the rewards.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back