Gas vs Electric boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Am in the process of trying to sort out a new boiler. Was going to go with a gas combi BUT due to laminated flooring/28mm turning to 15mm hidden pipes/ripping up/ruining the flooring, etc. may have to go with an electric boiler instead.

I was hoping that someone here could tell me about the pros and cons of electric boilers compared to a combi. I know that they are more expensive to fit but what about the long term cost implications? i.e. the price of leccy seems to be more than gas/could a leccy boiler put off a future buyer of my property because of the increased costs, etc.

My flat is 2 bedroom with five rads in it.

Any thoughts/advice would be hugely appreciated. I have got to get this sorted so we can have a proper shower and washing machine before the sprog arrives in a couple of months!!!

Thanks,

Alan

Sponsored Links
could a leccy boiler put off a future buyer of my property because of the increased costs, etc.
That's one for an estate agent!

I'd lift the laminate and use gas. It can be done carefully, usually.

An electric boiler will use electricity at peak rate between the hours of 6am to midnight. Peak rate electricity is in the region of 11p per kw per hr.

A gas boiler will cost about 4.5p per kw per hr.

So there you have it, if you wondered why electric boilers aren't popular, there is the answer. Most electric boiler purchases are driven by necessity (eg: no gas, no room for oil/LPG storage).

When you come to sell the property, someone 'in the know' would ask why you had fitted electric heating......the laminate floor excuse will sound a bit naff. They will factor in for a gas combi so you might as well do it now.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back