Electric Boilers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I'm thinking of installing an electric boiler to power my as yet non-existent central heating system.

For reasons that are too lengthy to list, oil or lpg is not suitable (we have no mains gas)

I quite like the look of the Dimplex Ascari, and was wondering if any of you have installed one, and have an opinion of running costs etc.

My house (barn conversion) has a floor space of about 90Sqm,and is well insulated.

I understand some electricity providers now do a remodelled economy 7 which I shall have installed if I go ahead with this scheme.

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
An air source heat pump will deliver around 33% of the running costs of what you propose.

Do not be fooled by claims of 100% efficiency for electric boilers. An electric boiler will run at around 13p per Kwh. A gas boiler will run at a cost of around 5p per Kwh.

Reason being an electric boiler uses energy that is only 40% efficient to the door, which is electricity is so expensive.

An electric air source heat pump will cost around the same as a gas boiler to run.

Does that help?

you should be looking at solar hot water and an air or ground source heat pump ufh. Both involve high capital outlay and long payback periods but with interest rates low and energy prices rising above inflation its a good long term investment.

Sponsored Links
With such a large area to heat you have to go for a thermal store. It can do CH and DHW and be heated by electric immersions. It can also be heated by a heat pump and solar panels as well. It is the natural choice for such setups.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back