Electric cable for shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is the following cable suitable for an 8.7 - 9.5kW shower?

"Basic To BS6004 6242YH / 2 x 2.5 + 1.5 Sqmm / Altin 2006 4"

Any help would be appreciated.

John

Sponsored Links
Absolutely defenetly NOT

your are drawing just over 41A @ 9.5Kw so you need at least 6mmsq preferebly 10mm if its encased in an insulated wall.

also its notefiable works so If your planning on doing it yourself you cant. PLEASE get a spark in

Oh my god stop right now!

2.5mm T&E is not suitable for even half the current you want to draw. Please call a competent electrician, especially when mixing electricity and water in something that all the family will use.

Or at least own up and tell us this is a wind-up :eek:

Sponsored Links
RobFurn said:
Well it is Friday afternoon...Shall I do some work or mess about on tinternet

I draw your attention to the time on all of my posts. What is the relevance of it being friday afternoon? :LOL:

16th edition regs pages 210 to 273 method of erection and plenty of tables for current carrying capacity.

dwilsonuk said:
At present we have 6mm(sq) cable 13.5mm x 7mm, and that works fine on our shower.

As for cable sizing try:

//www.diynot.com/pages/el/el004.php

Regards,
D.W

Shame that link only shows up to 4mm² cable and you fail to mention what rating your shower is. In addition, what works for you might not work for someone else.

I wouldn't install any less than 10mm² for a shower regardless of it's rating. And I wouldn't install a 9.5kW shower on 6mm² cable unless I was absolutely sure that no de-rating factors were applicable to the cable run.

If you want advice regarding the correct cable to use, then provide some more information - cable length, the conditions the cable will run in (insulation, conduit, trunking, under a floor, through a bonfire etc..) and also include information about your consumer unit - colour, type, RCD protection, free fuse ways etc.

dwilsonuk said:
At present we have 6mm(sq) cable 13.5mm x 7mm, and that works fine on our shower.
Congrats. What rating is the shower? Please provide some info that actually helps the OP rather than seemingly random facts. ;)

sorry here some more data on my shower:

8mtr cble run (6mm sq) clipped direct to wall, mini-rcb 45amp, shower 9.5kw, cable seems fine, and fitted about 10 years ago.

DW

Please note, Im not here to score points over anyone, just relaying what I have and what works for me!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back