Electric cement mixer How to mix & finish off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just about to mix concrete for greenhouse base.
I have been lent a small electric mixer.
I know I want a 6:1 mix.
Do I load the mixer in any order ie water 1st, ballast 1st etc.

Sponsored Links
remember though when loading the mixer a shovel of ballast will heap up more than a shovel of cement so you might need to put 1.5 - 2 shovels of cement in to get the right ratio.

Alternativly you could measure using buckets

hope that made sense

Sponsored Links
To add; always start the mixer before adding any materials. You'll strain the motor if you attempt to start it when full.

I mixed it by volume.
Anyway I layed it.
I poured it roughly to cover the area 6' x 6', then used a length of wood to level it wasnt easy, I think I should have leveled it as I laid it.
Is that it now just wait till it sets?

you can leave it a few hours to firm up a bit then trowel it off to get a smoother finish or just leave it as it is.

you can leave it a few hours to firm up a bit then trowel it off to get a smoother finish or just leave it as it is.
Thanks, its only a greenhouse so I will leave it.
When can I remove shuttering?

assuming the concrete was layed 3-4 inches thick it should be hard enough for you to be able to remove the shuttering in a couple of days.

It will take about month to harden up properly but you should be able to walk on it without marking it by sunday or monday

Thanks to all.
Rain wasnt forcast, but just had heavy shower, whilst I was out. The dog has also had a walk on it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back