Can I mix concrete this way?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I understand that a cement mixer / shovel mixing is the way to go, but can I use this method instead....

1. Fill tall bucket with predetermined amount of water,

2. Add predetermined amount of cement slowly whilst mixing with a paddle mixer,

3. Add predetermined amount of sand / gravel slowly.

4. Keep mixing with paddle mixer until properly mixed.

It is for a concrete overlay I am going to do in the garden,

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
no sorry, paddle mixer will struggle to even move with all that heavy sand! plaster is a lot more runny than what is basically a pile a wet sand. concrete is designed to be grippy (rough aggregate), plaster is designed to be be smooth (wet dust)

If you get the right paddle for sand and gravel then you can mix away like Billy-O.

I'm not sure about all that "predetermined amount of ...." lark though. What's that all about? o_O

did not know that, maybe I need to get a paddle mixer too then! got a link to a suitable one, all the ones I found mention grout/plaster/render only

Sponsored Links
I forget the name of the German company that makes a good range, but see here www.refina.co.uk/acatalog/Mixer_Paddles.html for a stockist.

I researched these last year when I did my resin drive, and apparently the yanks and euros mix all sorts with paddle mixers and there's paddles for everything.

I've not had the need to mix mortar or concrete yet, but will give it a go as soon as I can.

Btw, these paddle mixers mix resin and stone no problem. I can't see stone and sand being any different.

from the guy who invented it, but that's pretty good for a hand held drill!

I do quite alot of mixing in a bucket or a barrow and this is how I prefer to do it.... ballast in first, then add cement. Mix it whilst its dry then pour a little water and mix then keep adding water till you get the correct consistency. In my opinion a barrow is far easier than a bucket but it depends how much cony you need. I just use a spade, no special tools.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back