mixing 0.25 cu m concrete: taxing?

• Thread starter richard7761
  • Start date
R

richard7761

I'm sitting here thinking I cannot get on mixing 0.25 cu m concrete because I've not arranged yet for a cement mixer.

Okay, but what effort would it take me with shovel to mix 4 25Kg bags of cement and 18 25Kg bags of all-in ballast?

Is this an all-day job that would be pretty strenuos - or what?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Take about an hour if you get a wriggle on and don't sit around thinking about it.
Regards oldun

Blimey, I think it would take me that long with a mixer, by the time I have loaded it, mixed, unloaded and barrowed it into place.

I would love to hear how long he actually takes mixing 22 bags all by hand.

Sponsored Links
In 't' old days we would occasionally mix decent quantities by hand.

You start with your pile of ballast and shovel say 3 shovels into a small pile add some cement and a splash of water.

You keep doing this process until you have turned the whole pile, then you turn it back over again adding more water when necessary.

Do this a couple of times and you have mixed concrete.

Rich, if you're not reasonably fit, you'll be hurting for the next couple of days.
Which is the perfect excuse to book yourself in for a massage!

Reputable types advertise in phone boxes and the newsagents window.
:evil:

What is important for strength is getting the cement to ballast ratio correct and the correct constency. I can easily get the ratio correct for C25 (1:4.5)

Can anyone tell me how I can likely get the correct consistency, when adding water. It needs, I know, to be a "dry" mix. It cannot be too wet.

Just add a little water often, you don't want it too splashy, more like a lumpy grey porridge. Although for the majority of domestic jobs, adding too much water does no harm.

I've said this before on this topic but it's worth repeating.

Go to a merchant and get a plastic mixing bath and a decent shovel

Add your ballast and cement gauged in the correct quantity

Mix up DRY

When mixed, add water and further mix until the right sloppyness (for want of a better word) is achieved

Done....

I mixed about 0.25 cu m of concrete today and I'm shattered. I cannot say how long I took, because it's too embarrasing. I'm a 0.25 cu man and that is my day limit, I'll have aches and pains for days. I'm so out of condition.

One other thing: The concrete I put in a hole today is 560mm x 560mm x 750mm deep. How long do I need to wait before laying bricks on it? Bricks will go to the ceiling, about 32 courses.

Probably at least 4 days, and probably longer eh? Rich

I had to get heavy bags of ballast into the room from outside, and that took some time, but, I started at 1pm and finished abouty 6pm.
To be fair, having spend two hours concreting in a post (about two bags ballest) half of which was messing about carrying sand and mixing the cement, it think you have done ok there.

Daniel

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back