How to make concrete?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I need to make a concrete base of 1mX1mX40cms and have never done anything like this before, what will be the best way to make the concrete and what amounts do I need to buy? Is there any ready made mixes that I just add water to or will it be better to mix it myself? should I hire a cement mixer for this amount?

Any advice will be appreciated

Thanks

Sponsored Links
for that amount you can mix it by hand with a shovel. You have to turn it much more than you would have thought necessary. You can buy a plastic spot board to mix it on unless you already have a clean hard surface nearby.

Add water slowly and with care, you will probably make it too wet when you start.

What is this pad for?

Whats this for, whats the budget, whats the time factors, are you able to mix it, store materials and pour the concrete, or can a readimix wagon access the site?

If you can mix it by hand then go for it, a mixer would be easier but this adds costs and transport. Easiest is order some readimix and drop it straight in.

Also does it need reinforcement and will it be troweled smooth - this may affect sand content.

1 tonne ballast and 5 x 25kg bags cement, and a dry day

Sponsored Links
you will need 3/4 tonne of ballast and 5 x 25kg bags of cement.

borrow a small belle mixer or hire one.

or mix by hand as John D said.

Thanks for the help!

The base is for a very big satellite dish that and the stand will be set in the concrete, so the concrete needs to be very strong.

I am thinking it will be easier for me to either hire a mixer or maybe get some ready mixed delivered, whats the minimum quantity that you can normally get delivered? any ideas on cost?

I am guessing that ballast is sand and gravel already mixed, so I would only need to add cement and water?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back