Electric certificate

D

dextrous

So here's the deal. We recently had an extention built (very near completion now) and part of the specs was to run a cable to our log cabin at the end of our garden, which some of the more observant may have a vague recollection of.

Two things have transpired:
1/. The paperwork for BCO site inspection and the permitted development application has only just gone in (the building contractor and architect was responsible for this aspect), and the council now want a different application form to be filled in for a regularisation.

2/. More relevant to this forum - chatting to the "electrician" doing the work, he told me that he was saving up in order to start an electrician's course maybe next year. This is somewhat worrying, especially as he's had to crack open the CU to connect the cable to the isolator switch (40A) which feeds the 4 way CU in the cabin (I am awaiting the RCD protection for this). It would appear that noone on the contractor's team is a qualified electrician, and that they were going to rely on the BCO to approve this work.

Hmm, it sounds dodgy to me. Any comments?

Sponsored Links
Easy in hindsight for someone to say,

"Well didn't you ask the contractor before he started was his spark/gas fitter/plumber/roofer qualified?"

I would suggest that if the BCO don't pass certain parts of the work then the contractor should rectify them at HIS cost not yours. After all, you employed him in good faith.

Post some photographs of their workmanship and we'll give you our verdict!
I'm not sure on the sort of course that makes someone an electrician overnight, however as they are using LABC the work should have been notified before it started and the LABC should have inspected it as an when required.

Your regularisation is due to the notice going in late and work commencing, wouldn't worry about that you still get a cert just makes you out to be a bad un1
Normally the fee changes as they don't or didn't charge VAT but you get a bad boy charge instead.

As far as electrician is concerned what recommendations did he come with?

Sponsored Links
Just click edit and change your post!

There is a law for domestic dwellings which says "Reasonable provision shall be made in the design and installation of electrical installations in order to protect persons operating, maintaining or altering the installations from fire or injury. "
Anyone who isn't suitably trained or knowledgeable or under the supervision of someone who is may struggle to achieve this.

There is also part of the same law which deals with notification to the LABC of certain work.

Your regularisation is due to the notice going in late and work commencing, wouldn't worry about that you still get a cert just makes you out to be a bad un1
Normally the fee changes as they don't or didn't charge VAT but you get a bad boy charge instead.
It's an extra £13, which I have told the architect to go whistle for, as I always pay well on time. Not my problem that they were lax with the paperwork, but am miffed that it's now a regularisation!

As far as electrician is concerned what recommendations did he come with?

He is one of the contractor's team, which I assumed........ :rolleyes:
Photo's to follow, which I will comment on in due course

Just click edit and change your post!

There is a law for domestic dwellings which says "Reasonable provision shall be made in the design and installation of electrical installations in order to protect persons operating, maintaining or altering the installations from fire or injury. "
Anyone who isn't suitably trained or knowledgeable or under the supervision of someone who is may struggle to achieve this.

There is also part of the same law which deals with notification to the LABC of certain work.

Spark123 is that for me,
Yes sounds good but no law about qualifications?

no law saying the person doing the electrical work, should have qualification

Thats as maybe but he should at least be competent which means knowing what he is doing. This in turn means he should be able to design the circuit taking into consideration calculations such as volt drop, cable size, protection requirements, cable routes, test procedures and order of testing etc, etc etc.
To be able to do the very basics of this he should have been on a course at some time and have some qualifications, not rely on a stranger inspecting and testing his work.

Not that I am aware of in domestics, the closest you get is the EAWR which states persons to be competent to prevent danger or injury.
If you had no qualifications then you may struggle to show how.
As for joining a competent person scheme so you can self certify to the building regs I doubt that you'd get far without any qualfications.

no law saying the person doing the electrical work, should have qualification

Thats as maybe but he should at least be competent which means knowing what he is doing. This in turn means he should be able to design the circuit taking into consideration calculations such as volt drop, cable size, protection requirements, cable routes, test procedures and order of testing etc, etc etc.
To be able to do the very basics of this he should have been on a course at some time and have some qualifications, not rely on a stranger inspecting and testing his work.

but building controls are involved they will check all that out

Not that I am aware of in domestics, the closest you get is the EAWR which states persons to be competent to prevent danger or injury.
If you had no qualifications then you may struggle to show how.
As for joining a competent person scheme so you can self certify to the building regs I doubt that you'd get far without any qualfications.

I agree, just stating a little fact. Don't want to hi-jack post lets help op

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back