Electric combi

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Go on then slate them lol, I am aware of the kw price difference.

So I live in a bungalow well of the grid, gas mains never gonna be an option unfortunately.
Bought the house three years ago.
Installed a biomass system, burn logs get hot water and it heats the rads.

So we are building an extension onto the house another living area bedroom and ensuite.
Also additional en suite of exsisting bedroom.

Lighting biomass during the summer for hot water is a PITA,
as I would prefer to fit mixer showers what would be my best option also building a utility room so hot tap water required for that as well.

One of these modulating boilers. ?
https://www.electriccombiboilerscom...-electric-combi-boiler-with-inbuilt-cylinder/

Or just a large immersion tank ?

Or any other possibility’s, ?

I would add we have our solar tied in with biomass I am less than impressed with the difference it makes.

Overall Very happy with biomass just not so handy during the summer months.

Sponsored Links
Electric is enormously expensive to run. You'd be better off with an oil fired boiler and hot water cylinder, unless running costs aren't a primary concern

If you use stored hot water, then you have the option of heating the water using 'off-peak' electricity, which is considerably cheaper than the standard rate. Although, you may have to pay a higher standing charge depending upon the tariff / supplier you use.

If you are only wanting to heat domestic hot water during the summer, when the biomass isn't running, it shouldn't be too expensive. Properties with electric / night storage heating heat their water that way as standard. An added advantage for you, is that Solar can also be used in conjunction with stored hot water supplies, although as you have realised sometimes additional heat is required. As you have a cylinder already, maybe you just need a larger one.

If you go with an unvented hot water cylinder, they generally give a better shower than a vented / gravity fed one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back