Electric Cooker installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Am just about to move to a place that has wiring/place for electric cooker (there's no gas). I am assuming that as there used to be a cooker there that the wiring will be suitable.

What will I expect when i get a cooker delivered - will it just have 2 terminals to connect to the cable or is it more complex?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
There may well be multiple L & N terminals, but a link or links should be provided to join them - generally it will already be in place - and you only then need to make one L and one N connection.

Excellent thanks - and what a forum - 275 views of 1 posting in a couple of hours!

I think from initial viewing the cable dangling from wall was twin & earth - does that seem about right?

Sponsored Links
Hello Rob,
Before you even start to connect your cooker you should check that the cable and breaker are suitable.
What is the power consumption of your new cooker ?
Do you know the rating of the fuse/mcb for the cooker circuit and the cable size that is installed ?

Regards

Ed

Ed - thanks for replying,

I spent 30 mins googling for the power consumption for an electrolux EKC5044K with no success....anybody know a good place to find this stuff out without actually getting out of my chair and visiting shop!

I will be checking out the specs of the fuse and circuit over the next few days - from looking at similar threads in here it looks like I need 6mm as a minimum (depending on power of course).

If the cooker is too high consumption for the circuit, I won't mind if someone recommends an electric cooker with ceramic hob and timer - TBH I don't need the twin oven - I would imagine a single oven would be lower rated...

regards
Rob

You could try ringing electrolux....08705 950 950.

ask them what supply they recommend... KW rating, Fused supply etc...

Post that back here and youll get loads more pointers....

You also need to know how thik this T&E is thats installed, What kind of CU do you have, How old is the house?

Take pictures and post them in here...... pics are always good...

If you look on the electrolux website there will prob be some instrution manual download avaialble anyway.... www.electrolux.co.uk i think is their addy...

Voltage: 230-240 Volts AC 50Hz
Wattage: 9.8 - 10.7 kW

I got the info from the PDF downloadbale manual of the website took me less than 1 min to find it....

Now we need to know what cable/mcb/fuse you have..... Its gonna have to beefy for that cooker...

Ouch -I looked on their website and didn't find it, but thanks anyway. My maths makes that 45 Amps!

Time to look at other cookers.....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back