Installing electric cooker - wiring question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I've just got a new cooker - the cooker red switch is already there and the thick cable to attach to the back of the cooker is already in place (previous owners had an electric cooker in same position, so should be ready to go). But all the instructions assume there is a brown/blue/green cable or red/black/green cable - but the cable that's here is black/black/green. There was a working cooker here before, using that wire - but shouldn't I use it any more? (I did try to pay for the installation service from AO but they had very tight regulations about installing it - the cupboards above the cooker location are more than the minimum distance required in this cookers installation manual, but less than AOs requirements). I will get an electrician if necessary, but am hoping that I can just figure out which is the live/neutral wires? This is on it's own circuit from the fuse box - would it matter which way round I put the 2 black wires????

thanks

julie
20191012_145905.jpg

Sponsored Links
In the rest of EU use of two black cables was common until the colours were harmonised, it would need testing to work out which is line and which is neutral and it would make sense to over sleeve cables, but there is nothing to stop the use of two black cables.

thanks ericmark - as it needs testing to find live/neutral, I'll get an electrician in. At least I probably won't need to get the whole thing re-wired. really appreciate your quick response. Many thanks

How would you tell which is live in the cooker?

It doesn't matter.

The fuse/MCB will be in the Line(live) conductor either way round.

Sponsored Links
Are there any numbers or markings on the black wires?

Also, does the outer sheath indicate the cable size?

I was under the impression that the cable came attached to the cooker.

As that doesn't seem to be the case then there will be markings on the cooker connector plate.

So you just have to determine which wire at one end is the same wire at the other.

You need a multimeter, or something with a battery in it to test - a clock perhaps?.

Thanks everyone. I don't have a multimeter so I've decided to get an electrician to come and do it. Probably safest. Really appreciate you spending your time to reply.

Looks like YY flex usually has 1 and 2 on the cores, if you check the other end the same 1 and 2 will be there connected likely to a more standard Red and Black or Brown and Blue cable

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back