Electric Cooker installation

Since hot plates and oven cycle on and off the cooker will never draw the max of adding up all the individual ratings. A 32 amp MCB is fine.
Manufacturers instructions are guidance only, they don’t have to be followed especially when they are wrong. One mistake has already been identified in post 12, so I wouldn’t trust those MIs.

Sponsored Links
Since hot plates and oven cycle on and off the cooker will never draw the max of adding up all the individual ratings.

It might draw the max of adding up all the individual ratings if all hobs and oven are switched ON from cold at the same time. This maximum draw will last until one by one the various heaters start to cycle OFF and ON

It might draw the max of adding up all the individual ratings if all hobs and oven are switched ON from cold at the same time. This maximum draw will last until one by one the various heaters start to cycle OFF and ON
Does anyone ever do that?

Does anyone ever do that?

I have known all four hobs and a large oven all being on high settings at the same time.

If an appliance does not have an "anti-max" load control function then it is possible that the ON periods of all loads could coincide and max out on the supply. When this max out happens the duration of the max out is invariably short enough that the thermal trip in the MCB does not trip.

Sponsored Links
I have known all four hobs and a large oven all being on high settings at the same time.

If an appliance does not have an "anti-max" load control function then it is possible that the ON periods of all loads could coincide and max out on the supply. When this max out happens the duration of the max out is invariably short enough that the thermal trip in the MCB does not trip.
Also short enough that the cables won’t overheat.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back