Electric cooker tripping rcd

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a five year old electric cooker and when the rings are switched on the rcd trips. This has just happened and I ve never had to replace or fix it

does anyone know if an element in the hot plate causes this. In the past with electric ovens this is the reason but I ve never done it with a freestanding electric cooker

I am thinking it is not worth repairing and therefore I should just replace the whole cooker but it seems a real shame and such a waste for the environment

does anyone know if it’s worth repairing or just replace? And what I can check. All rings trip the board which means I can’t cook my dinner tonite for hubby amd me!!

CCD58EB4-6716-4BB3-B3DD-FCB605B76F46.jpeg

B7D1135C-96F8-40B7-AD76-C9DD8679E21B.jpeg

E0813CB1-E256-4FA7-8A48-AC67B4CF0874.jpeg

Sponsored Links
If there is a neutral earth fault on anything corrected to same RCD as the cooker, then any heavy load which clearly the cooker is, can cause the RCD to trip.

So as @securespark says does the oven or grill also cause it to trip?

It still could be some thing to do with cooker, but worth checking it is the cooker before swapping it, you need an insulation resistance meter which uses in the main 500 volt a multi meter is not good enough.

If a fault exists as eric suggests, what you could try is switch off the cooker (if there is a switch), then try plugging in another large load or possibly turning on the electric shower, if you have one.

If the RCD still trips, it's not your cooker.

You could also go round and unplug (or switch off if it doesn't have a plug but a switch) all the stuff in the house, garage and outbuildings.

Examples of electrical items that may have a switch instead of a plug/ socket are: boilers, security lights, immersion heaters, supplies to outbuildings etc....

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
All of them?
What about oven or grill?

Hi the oven and grill are fine - It is the rings which trip whenever each of them are switched on - So we cant turn any of the rings on but the oven works fine

I have disconnected all sockets from the ring and isolated it to just the rings. Is it worth repairing or should I just replace?

Everyone tends to consider ones own set up when giving advice, in my house I have 14 RCBO's which is a MCB and RCD combined so the cooker has it's own RCD so I can be reasonably sure if it trips it is the cooker, but many houses don't have this, so some reason they group many circuits together on the same RCD, and so it is hard to be sure what is causing a RCD to trip.

There are two tools we use, the insulation tester which is used dead and puts 500 volt on the supply to see if leaking, or the clamp-on ammeter which measures the unbalance. Both are expensive cheapest around £40 the clamp on has to measure down to 0.01 amp which makes them expensive. And both need so skill to use.

So with some thing like a suspect kettle we find a socket powered from another RCD to test it, but the cooker is not easy to power from another supply. So if a single ring causes it to trip we would assume that ring is faulty, but if multi rings cause a trip you have two options, call some one to repair it so they have test equipment, or decide it is time for upgrade anyway.

There are basic 5 types of hob, the hot plate which you have, split into three types iron base or ceramic or mineral insulated ring but it is a simple heating element, slow to heat and cool and wastes energy, but we have used them for years and they work. Then the halogen hob, always ceramic, slightly faster to old heating element but not that much better. And finally the induction hob, where the hob does not get hot as such, it makes the pan heat up, pans need a base a magnet will stick to, they are far safer, much faster, more economic, always ceramic and if controlled by knobs so fast acting that like gas you don't need to lift a pan if milk starts to boil you simply switch off. Many have silly touch controls so although the hob can switch off fast, the human machine interface is too slow, yes HMI is technical name for knob or touch controls.

As full cooker you tend to get control knobs rather than touch controls, and also the ovens tend to use well over 3 kW so have closed door grilling and other functions not found with split level, we have stand alone, mother had split level, her oven said it had same functions as ours, but it used time share so no where near as good, but daughter in law has steam in her oven which we have not found in standard size stand alone.

I have only found one shop when we went to look that had demo models wired up, you are looking at around £600 to £1000 so really you do want to see one working. So your problem is if you think the cooker is faulty do you spend out having it tested and repaired, or do you up grade. If you can't afford new induction then get it repaired until you can afford one. You can buy a cooker for £160, but with induction it jumps to £520 (Currys price) so to upgrade is expensive. If one ring is faulty a repair man could simply disconnect one ring, so to get it going likely just the call out price. That depends where you live, living in Mid Wales I find tradesman are cheaper than when I lived in North Wales, not what I expected.

P.S. my daughter-in-law borrowed my single ring induction hob we use for camping where she moved house until she could get her cookers moved, she has been converted from gas to induction. Since you say all 4 rings, and not oven and grill is does seem some thing other than one simple fault.

As to gas, I think if a gas cooker was invented today it would be banned. Ronan Point could not happen with electric, and the induction hob means electric now faster and more controllable. Only think gas is better with is when using a wok as the gas models are lighter.

As to gas, I think if a gas cooker was invented today it would be banned. Ronan Point could not happen with electric,

I think gas was used as a scapegoat here. There were other serious problems:
  • it was not adequate for expected wind loading, since the wind speeds which the regulations required to be considered were much too low for a tall building—in a high wind, an upper wall panel could be sucked out, leading to collapse similar to the actual collapse
  • it was not adequate in a fire, a significant fire could lead to bowing of the structure, followed by collapse as above.[7]

7) The building was repaired to the proper spec and repopulated.
8) Public pressure got the building dismantled 15 to 20 years later [note dismantled and not demolished] for precise examination.

When the building (and similar ones) were dismantled, it was found that even after "repair," joints contained dirt, floor-sweepings, builders rubble, cigarette packets and voids.

If the design makes shoddy workmanship both possible and dangerous, the design is unsuitable.

When the building (and similar ones) were dismantled, it was found that even after "repair," joints contained dirt, floor-sweepings, builders rubble, cigarette packets and voids.

If the design makes shoddy workmanship both possible and dangerous, the design is unsuitable.
Not wanting to hijack I ve created another thread...

Thanks all. So the bottom line is what. Replace the entire cooker with an electric one? Like for like. I cannot run gas there sadly but I did think of buying a built in oven and ceramic job although that would require a new worktop

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back