Electric fan assisted ovens, fan sometimes doesn't spin

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an electric fan assisted oven, when turned on, the heating element comes on, and sometimes, and it's getting more frequent, the fan doesn't spin, if you leave it on for a couple of minutes the fan will start to spin. i have taken the panel off protecting the fan and tested spinning the fan and that moves freely, which points to the motor.
any ideas, is the motor on the way out, or is it an easy fix, someone told me about putting oil on a sponge that's on the back of the motor somewhere to free it up???

any help appreciated

Sponsored Links
Could be the fan, or cold be the power supplying it. Best to check first, then fix. If you're not good with electrics get a pro in.

Could be the fan blade , greasy it sticks, heat gets to it and free's it.

you should read the forum sticky!

Sponsored Links
My parents have a range master, after about 17 years, the old fan was struggling, grease and such. What happened was it still felt like it spun relatively freely when removed but when heating up the thing expanded a little also. But it was a little sluggish to spin before starting. I think the motor just lost its grunt over time with material/dust and things built up. We removed and fitted a replacement and it was significantly noticeable that the new one had far more power/grunt etc as the oven heated up way faster and blasted the air around like a new oven.

They deteriorate slowly over time but its not until you replace the part its significantly noticeable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back