Electric oven fan not working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The fan on my electric oven has stopped working. The heater element works fine, but there is a buzzing noise coming from the fan motor and it is not spinning.
Is it likely that the fan motor is dead, or could it be repaired? If the motor is broken, what sort of price would a new one cost, or is it going to be cheaper to buy a new oven? Would fitting a new motor/oven be a job that I could do myself safely?

The oven is an Electrolux EOB 976 and is just over five years old.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Get in touch with manufacture & ask the cost of the fan.
There are plenty of domestic appliance repair engineers out there let your fingers do some walking & get a couple of quotes. You should now have enough information to decide new oven or repair.

As to fitting it yourself this should not be difficult, but take care with the wiring as the insulation / termination for fan may be brittle use small pliers to pull wiring off.

REMEMBER TO DISCONNECT FROM THE MAINS

Local electrical shop said £51 for a new motor. Not the end of the world, but I thought I'd have a look at the motor anyway before parting with my cash. Turns out the problem was one of the caps holding the bearing assembly together had come slightly loose causing just enough friction for the motor to not turn. Popped it back in, and it works fine again. :D

Sponsored Links
Could be that the fan is just gunked up with grease and muck from cooking, happens quite often. If anyone else has this problem, give the blades a prod with a wooden skewer to see if that gets the fan moving before you shell out money on a new one. If it does remove the fan and give it a good clean. ;)

professionally i always replace the fan no matter what the problem, they are a lot cheaper than 51 quid. however it would be fair to say that a diy person should consider this.
if the bearing(bronze bush ) is worn then it's best to replace the fan.
if it's gunked up the dismantle it and give it a good clean with wd40. clean the shafts gently with steel wool or a scourer, and reassemble. that done it should work fine.

thanks nstreet, spent 2 hours struggling to get the damn thing out they make it tough because the wires are too short but made it eventually. You have to pull off connectors without being able to see the colour of the wires fumbling about behind the back plate. Stupid design!

Gave the motor a good clean and a tiny amount of lube but it seems US. They seem to get sluggish as you say and then give up. You cannot open it up to clean the brushes or contact area on the shaft. Hate to say it but German stuff seems best.

What an epic getting it all back together. Its a jigsaw and you have to try various things and I found dismantling the lamp and try to put the spade connectors on once the back plate was screwed to the oven then screw the lamp to the back plate. horrid design.

Cheapest price for a new motor seems to be from Hotpoint themselves. About £26.

If anyone is replacing the element this would be easy, undo the single screw and pull it to you and undo the spade connectors. Watch that the cable stays your side or you will have an epic.

Need to recover with a good bottle of Chilean Merlot and regain some of my dented ego!

MAKE SURE YOU SWITCH OFF THE ELECTRICAL SUPPLY FIRST!!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back