Electric Floor Heating Thermostat Replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Friends-
I am living in Germany and have electric floor heating. To save money, I am replacing the old analog thermostats with programmable digital thermostats.

The thermostat I have purchased has terminals for both the "load" and for the "supply". However, there is only one set of wires coming into the box (blue, black, and green/yellow). Does someone know which terminals I should be connecting these wires to? Please forgive my stupidity -- I am only smart enough with electricity to get in trouble. And I think I'm going to get into trouble without some help.

Here is an image of the back of the new thermostat.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41m7+-0aTCL.jpg

Sponsored Links
Hi Friends-
. To save money, I am replacing the old analog thermostats with programmable digital thermostats.

Why do you think this will save money?

Because the new thermostat is programmable and I can program when the heating turns on, rather than having it continuously running. For example, I can program the bathroom floor to be heating from 4 am to 6 am so when I wake up, it's nice and toasty, but then program it to be off during the day while no one is there.

If the old thermostat only had two wires and earth then it didn't have a Neutral and so operated with a Neutral.

The new one requires a Neutral to operate. So unless you can add a third wire to bring a Neutral to the thermostats location it is unlikely you can use the new one.

Sponsored Links
Hi Friends-
However, there is only one set of wires coming into the box (blue, black, and green/yellow).

Possibly live and switched live, and they may control contactors (relays) at the consumer unit rather than switching the heating elements directly.

Back