Electric grill plate - bought in Spain, 230 volt

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I bought a kithchen grill plate in Spain, make - Solac, they are known as "Planchas" in Spain. Of course it has a contintental plug but that shouldn't be a problem, but it is rated as 230 volt, 2000 watt, and my helpful son-in-law says it would not be safe to use in UK where our supply is 240 volt. Is this correct?

Sponsored Links
flyermike said:
I bought a kithchen grill plate in Spain, make - Solac, they are known as "Planchas" in Spain. Of course it has a contintental plug but that shouldn't be a problem, but it is rated as 230 volt, 2000 Amp and my helpful son-in-law says it would not be safe to use in UK where our supply is 240 volt. Is this correct?

if its made for use within the EU it should work anywhere in the EU ,
(but no doubt spares will not be available, and some where in the small print you have already invalidated the g'tee)

and officaily we are also at 230v, as for the 2000 Amp, how are you going to connect it? or have you told the national grid, or did you mean 2000 watts (more likely)

as for the 2000 Amp
Wake up breezer, not like you to be asleep on the job (the man said watts).
Flyermike, breezer is correct on the voltage i.e. we have been 230v for ages and you can run approx 3KW via a normal 13amp 3 pin plug.

bathjobby said:
Wake up breezer, not like you to be asleep on the job (the man said watts).

bathjobby, i beg to differ.

@ Tue Dec 06, 2005 00:17
flyermike said:
230 volt, 2000 Amp

@ Tue Dec 06, 2005 00:28 I posted a reply which incldues flyermike's quote (see above) and my comment about should it not be watts as opposed to Amps that flyermike had origonaly written

BUT, @ Tue Dec 06, 2005 01:05 flyermike edited his own post, to change the word AMPS to Watts

see this (copied and pasted from flyermike's own post) "Last edited by flyermike on Tue Dec 06, 2005 01:05, edited 1 time in total"

see, he changed it AFTER i had pointed out his error, and, sorry bathjobby, you did not notice, and since this post is after your post and the post i wrote in the first place is before your post I must be telling the truth

Sponsored Links
Apologies to Breezer, he is correct, I originally did write 2000 amps, serves me write for attempting to think after midnight after a few glasses of wine, realising what an idiot I had been I edited my query to watts. Thanks for the info re 230 volts.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back