Electric grinder chisel sharpener

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Any recommendation for a electric grinder chisel sharpener?

Sponsored Links
I'd expect Tormek to be quite good though if anything like an electric chainsaw chain sharpner then pretty much useless.

Hard to beat a nice set of lapping stones.
Like the Japanese Shapton's.

In my opinion, for what it's worth, using an oilstone or whatever by hand is the quickest way, and with a bit of practice gives a great edge.
I reckon the best way is to use the fine side of the stone and strop on an old piece of leather drive belt or similar dressed very sparingly with a bit of fine valve grinding paste. That gives a razor edge.
I also grind the "grinding angle" to give a short honing angle which makes hand sharpening easier. I grind that on a normal 6" bench grinder, using a very light pressure and keeping it cool by dipping often in coolant. Be warned though. If you get it too hot and colour the edge, you have lost the temper. It takes a bit of practice.

I'd expect Tormek to be quite good though if anything like an electric chainsaw chain sharpner then pretty much useless.
When I did my apprenticeship we used a grinder on its side like a record deck spraying fluid, it's the best I have ever used but I don't think it's around anymore.

My friend swear by the Trend chisel sharpener but a lot of bad reviews!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ShSQDBB5Jo

Sponsored Links
Drapers 31235 whetstone grinder is quite a good machine for what it is.......so long as the grinding stone is kept for chisels and plane blades only, it gives good service.
I still finish on the oil stone though!
John :)

When I did my apprenticeship we used a grinder on its side like a record deck spraying fluid, it's the best I have ever used but I don't think it's around anymore.

My friend swear by the Trend chisel sharpener but a lot of bad reviews!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ShSQDBB5Jo[/QUOTE]

I saw a test on various sharpening systems years ago. There was one like you describe, I can't remember the name, but I do remember it was designed, at least originally. for the butchery trade.

I have a Tormek, but I find it slower than hand sharpening. Especially when you're working hardwood with hand tools and you're sharpening a lot. I used to use two or three plane blades, ready set with cap irons, and sharpen all three. Others may find differently. My Tormek has the older type natural stone wheel though. So the newer wheels will be faster cutting I'd have thought.

I'd agree with John's comment about only using the wheels for sharpening plane or chisel blades. If you do use a bench type grinder, lightly dress the wheel fairly regularly to keep the face open, and again keep that wheel just for sharpening.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back