Electric Hob and Insurance problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry if this is in the wrong place but I am trying to solve a problem on behalf of a friend.

He had a flood and the result was his kitchen was wrecked. He has an electric halogen hob and after the flood he tried using it and it blew a fuse - 30amp

He let it dry out for a week and when he turned it on after 5 mins it blew the fuse. Reported it to insurance company dealing with the claim and they sent out an electrician who turned it on for about 5 mins and said it was OK.

Friend used it again and it blew the fuse.

Is he right in thinking the insurance company should replace or service it?

They say its OK to use despite water pouring out the inside of the hob at the time of the flood. His biggest concern is that its shorting inside and may cause a fire.

The kitchen has been repaired now and worktop replaced but he refused to have the hob put back in. So currently without a hob.

Can anyone advise please.

The company dealing with it are Asprea !! anyone who has dealt with them will know they are bad news.

Sponsored Links
It seems a bit ridiculous for an electrician who knows that an appliance has had water ingress should simply turn it on & deem it ok just because it worked ok. He should, at the very least have stripped it down and ensured there was no water droplets lingering unseen. preferably he should have done a proper insulation test to ensure there were no shorts to neural or earth. I personally would recommend your friend ask the insurance comany to send a competant preson to look at the hob.

Electrician has said its "functional" what ever that is supposed to mean. It has now dried out so is OK.

He has asked them to put that in writing and to state that it is safe to use.

But he is going to buy a new one and give up on the insurance which I would not do on principle but I guess hes had enough.

hob.jpg

This is inside the hob

Sponsored Links
How can an electrician deem it to be safe to use? Not would I only pursue the insurance claim, I'd be taking up an issue with the sparks too.

The electrician turned it on and because it worked that was that, its been eight weeks since it was flooded so I guess its dried out.

I have now sent written complaint to Aviva asking for cash settlement.

Quick update, sent complaint to Aviva on behalf of my mate, he has now been told insurance company sending a settlement cheque for the hob.

He better buy me a pint or six :D

Just got all the other problems to sort out now!

Avoid any insurance company that use Asprea or Abec :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back