Ceramic Hob faults

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Updated

Today I heard my hob making two pop sounds and later it smelled a little bad. I saw that my fuse went down. I have now turned the fuse on but the the power indicator of the hob is still not working. Should I call an electrician to fix the fault or purchase a new hob with installation.

The make of the hob is Diplomat and the model is APL 1324 (white). It is an electric hob built into my kitchen. I am not sure about the age of the appliance but I have it since 2008. I would assume it falls into those 10-12 years brackets.

As I heard the pop, I ran to the kitchen and smelled some burning. I immediately switched off all the Power points in my kitchen. I did see that there was little water from a boiling pan on the surface. I quickly wiped it. It is important to mention that this water was not any abnormal amount. Infact it was the usual spill from the lid. I would say 5-6 drops of water towards the bottom right side of the hob.

I later switched the tripped fuse back. Everything else in the kitchen is working except the hob. The indicator of the switch of the hob is also not lighting up. I am not sure if it is my hob or the Power switch. I am happy to get the repairs done. But would hate to pay unnecessary call out. I also know my hob is an old one and would be willing to get a new one if required. But I am not sure, whom to call - An electrician or hob installation. Could somebody please advise.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
What you smelled was the expensive blue smoke that they put inside the hob when they made it.

You need an appliance service technician, not an electrician. Your hob might be hosed, or it might be repairable - nobody here can say from only "I heard my hob making two pop sounds and later it smelled a little bad".

Might be worth posting in the Appliances forum with a few more details.

Unwatch Thread

1. Radhika Sharma
    Thanks Received:
    clear.png

Today I heard my hob making two pop sounds and later it smelled a little bad. I saw that my fuse went down. I have now turned the fuse on but the the power indicator of the hob is still not working. Should I call an electrician to fix the fault or purchase a new hob with installation.

Radhika Sharma, 7 minutes agoEditReportBookmark
    #1+ Multi-quoteQuote

Read more: https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/ceramic-hob-faults.479330/#ixzz4bj5uTXFV

Thank you so much. I have posted most details that I knew in my original post. Thanks ban-all-sheds.

Sponsored Links
It would seem all parts are available so likely can be repaired, but question is do you want to repair? After 25 years using a stand alone Belling cooker with ceramic hob, my wife wanted a new one, nothing wrong with old one, but wanted new, the replacement looked nearly the same as old one, it was also Belling so I will list the changes over 25 years.

1) The hot plate is now much faster to respond, the induction technology means the ceramic is cooler so things don't bake on in the same way, and to a small extent you can tilt the pan handy when frying, it can go both cooler and hotter so now you can melt chocolate without double pan, and boil water as fast as the electric kettle, it has loads of safety items included from child lock to auto boil then simmer, and auto off if left unattended.
2) There is no longer a splash back, there is no cover over the knobs and you need magnetic bases on the pans, i.e. if fridge magnet will not stick to base of pan it will not work.
Note) Because induction is so fast to react using touch controls is too slow, you need knobs to be able to switch off as fast as lifting a pan, so touch controls useless with induction, they were an advantage with older ceramic hobs as wipe clean, but not induction.
3) The oven also changed, some things worse, the shelves can now fall out, but there are 12 options on how to heat, bottom, back and top, with bottom and top with or without fan, always fan with back, so you can select how the oven works including options like closed door grilling.

I will not bother with all the changes, but some times it's not as simple as can it be repaired, it's a case should it be repaired or is it time to move on? We did have a problem when moving to induction with the pressure cooker, we thought stainless steel would work, but it didn't, we now use a stand alone pressure cooker, that works far better other than one point, can't dunk in in the sink to rapid cool, but the electronics control the temperature, no more having to watch and turn down heat when it starts to boil.

Did you consider "domino" hobs, so you could have a mix of gas and induction?

Diplomat and the model is APL 1324 (white). It is an electric hob built into my kitchen. I am not sure about the age of the appliance but I have it since 2008. I would assume it falls into those 10-12 years brackets.
Diplomat was a brand of cheap appliances sold by MFI with their kitchens before they went out of business about 10 years ago.

In theory it could probably be repaired, but realistically it's time to buy a new hob.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back