Propane Hob

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

Please forgive the appalling lack of knowledge, but gas is generally not my thing.

I want to upgrade the gas hob on our narrowboat. The existing hob is a Belling caravan/motorhome style hob and I would like to fit something a little less 'camping' and a little more 'domestic'.

The question is - are all gas hobs able to work on Propane as well as 'normal' gas, do I need to make sure to buy a propane specific hob, or can you get converters?

Second question - does it need to be fitted by a Gas Safe engineer? It will have to pass a Boat Safety Certificate so I am guessing it does.

Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
You need a hob that is specified as suitable for LPG or is capable of being converted. But worth a trip to some of the boat chandlers to see what they have to offer. It is often more preferable to have something specifically designed for boat use rather than a modified domestic.

Yes you will need a Gas Safe installer. Again many boatyards will have the necessary contacts.

(and yes, I own a narrowboat too :) )

Thanks for the response (nice to hear from a fellow ditch crawler)

The trouble is, a lot of the hobs you can get for boats/motorhomes don't look very special. We went to Crick this weekend and saw some really great fit-outs using domestic style hobs, so I started wondering...

I guess I will have to do some serious research?!?!?

I see you are in Surrey, where are you moored? We are on the Wey.

That's the trouble with boat shows - all nice a sparkly :D

I know what you're saying about the appearance but you will need to make sure any hob is LPG compatible.

Moored on the K&A for this year.

Sponsored Links
Many of the domestic hobs come with a set of new jets needed to convert them to LPG use.

But like all gas appliances, they should be fitted by a Gas Safe registered engineer.

Not just any but one who holds an specific assessment element for LPG and I think for LPG on boats as well.

Boats are a potential problem because LPG is heavier than air and any leak will cause the gas to remain in the lower part of the boat !

Furthermore, the vibration from a boat engine requires special attention to the pipework.

No, I dont own a boat but was on the Committee which manages the Savoy Hill boats.

Tony

Thanks Tony, that's really helpful.

Many years ago I used to race with a skipper who would insist on pumping the bilges every morning for 5 minutes, even though they were as dry as a bone - when asked why, he would say he was pumping out the gas. I used to have a laugh with any new members of crew by telling them it was the human generated gas he was getting rid of!!

It is a long time since I did mine, but I think the Yachtmaster syllabus still teaches about the potential problems of gas on boats.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back