Old Belling Ceramic Hob stopped working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I was using last weekend, all 4 rings of my hobs in full power, and the oven in the same time.

But, unfortunately, everything stopped working.

I thought it was the disjunctor general but it was not.

I figured out that the wall fuse for this was ok too.

Then, without doing anything, the oven start working again, but not the hob.

I can see that both Oven and Hob are Belling, I checked with Belling and apparently, it is (at least the Oven) a model manufactured in 2007(model of oven: XOU60 FPBK).

I don't find the same model on Belling WebSite neither on internet...

I do not find neither the exact model of the hob, it should be written somewhere I guess underneath the hob, but I have no idea how to get there, shall I remove the oven first ?

The closest one is the ch60rx-black or ch60r-granite (they both look like similar, but i is not the exact same unfortunately...)

I am adding some pictures for peoples to have a look if you know about the model, or what can cause this issue?

Maybe it is a component too old in the hob that broke down while I was using all 4 rings of the hob at full power ??

Thank you for your time reading this thread and for any information you might think useful in order to repair or at least find what can cause this issue.

PS: I did bought the flat I am living in 2 years ago, and I don't have any paper related to the hob/oven, neither if it is still under warranty (I doubt)...

Best Regards,
Nicolas V

Attachments

• 20160501_130022.jpg
    20160501_130022.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 235
  • 20160501_130100.jpg
    20160501_130100.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 314
  • IMG_0108.JPG
    IMG_0108.JPG
    73 KB · Views: 291
  • IMG_0109.JPG
    IMG_0109.JPG
    81 KB · Views: 200
  • IMG_0110.JPG
    IMG_0110.JPG
    155.1 KB · Views: 347
Sponsored Links
Have you established that you have power to the hob? As the oven and hob are two different appliances and will have two different cables and possibly two different sources of supply.
I suspect that the oven is either plug in or a fused connection and the hob is directly hardwired to an independent/separate circuit.
The serial/model number of the hob will be on the underside of the hob, to gain access to the power supply it maybe in an adjoining kitchen cupboard or behind the oven, there would also normally be an isolator above worktop or again in an adjoining cupboard.
To remove the oven, you will require to open the oven door and you should find at least two screws(sometimes 4, sometimes none!(as they have not been correctly fitted)) on the oven outer casing, they fix the oven housing. Unscrew them and the oven slides out.
Be careful of any flex/cable behind the appliance when removing and as safety precaution isolate the electric prior to removal.
The electrics must be tested using a two probe voltage indicator, not a test screwdriver or a non-contact tester.
Whilst the circuit is dead, check for damaged cable, loose connections or faulty contacts.
Also check the fuse board for tripped circuits!

It would be wise to prepare an area to put the oven down before removal, to protect the kitchen floor, as they can have sharp edges and are often filthy with grease.

Last edited:
Thank you very much for your advice PrenticeBoyofDerry, I will follow your instruction to remove the oven first.
I do have power reaching the hob, so my first guess is a damage/burn component/cable in the terminal block inside the hob where the power cable comes in.
I will try to do this in 2 days from that post and will update this topic with my findings and hopefully fix.
I will also keep in mind the place needed for the oven once removed, really appreciate all advice ;)
Regards,
Nicolas V

Sponsored Links
Hello Nicolas V, how have you determined that power is at the hob? Don't be fooled into thinking a non contact voltage stick/pen will identify this!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back