Electric Inline Water Heater with a Mixer Shower

CTM

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am upgrading an en-suite bathroom and would like to have the flexibility of an electric shower (heating boiler breaks etc), however, don't like the looks of an electric shower.

Can I sucessfully use an Electric inline heater to power one off shower, I am proposing to use a 11 or 12 KW unit?

From some of the literayture I have read on the manufacturers websites it states you can't use a Thermostatic mixer valve, do you know this issues around this?

Can they be used with a normal mixer shower (no thermostat in the valve)?

Any help would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Can I sucessfully use an Electric inline heater to power one off shower, I am proposing to use a 11 or 12 KW unit?

read the question its not another fantasy sales oportunity :rolleyes:

Yes, I do have main water pressure.

I have 2 off heat stores which are heated by my Rayburn and or back boilers which are connected to log burning / multifuel stoves.

Sponsored Links
Yes, I do have main water pressure.

I have 2 off heat stores which are heated by my Rayburn and or back boilers which are connected to log burning / multifuel stoves.

If it is a mains pressure system with thermostatic control of the DHW at the thermal stores, then fit a mixer with an integral pressure equalizer. A simple non-thermostatic mixer can be used with a external pressure equalisation valve.

Then an in-line electric heater can be used as backup in the DHW shower line. Or using thermal stores, fit an immersion heater in them and do away with the in-line heater.

BigBurner, thanks you confirm my thoughts, only one of Thermal stores (Flowmax) has a facility for a immersion so I could use it alyhough it would take some time to heat up. I assume the advantage of use the immersion is that I can use any Shower unit, as I would ideally not like to be restricted to a non thermostatically controled one.

BigBurner, thanks you confirm my thoughts, only one of Thermal stores (Flowmax) has a facility for a immersion so I could use it alyhough it would take some time to heat up. I assume the advantage of use the immersion is that I can use any Shower unit, as I would ideally not like to be restricted to a non thermostatically controled one.

You can install a 9 kW immersion if heat up time is important. It is only for backup.

The point I am making is that as you have a thermostat on the DHW (the thermal store blending valve), you do not need another thermostat on the DHW. So dispense with thermostatic mixers and get one with an integral pressure equalisation valve. You do not need a thermostatic mixer valve These are know a CombiMates, "pressure balanced", etc. Look at this:
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/35031...ing/Combi-Pressure-Balancing-Shower-Flexi-Kit

Lots available:
http://www.screwfix.com/search.do;j...tton.x=0&searchbutton.y=0&searchbutton=submit

From some of the literayture I have read on the manufacturers websites it states you can't use a Thermostatic mixer valve, do you know this issues around this?

Can they be used with a normal mixer shower (no thermostat in the valve)?

Any help would be appreciated.

No don't do it.

The electric in-line shower heaters are turned on and off electrically by a solenoid valve that shuts the water INLET so the heater cannister is permanently vented through the shower hose/head for safety.

If you fit a tap or mixer valve or similar to the outlet and shut it then the heater cannister is not vented and can become pressurised and may/will probably explode due to the residual heat in the system.

What didn't you understand in what I wrote?

The way I understand it, the OP has a mains pressure hot water supply, which is provided by a thermal store and is temperature-regulated by a thermostatic mixing valve.

Therefore a thermostatic valve is not required. A pressure-balancing valve in concert with the existing thermostatic mixing valve will provide accurate temperature regulation.

But people don't just buy shower valves for the internals. Quite often style, design, ergonomics etc will also be a deciding factor. If the OP can find a pressure-balancing shower valve that meets these requirements, no problem.

If the OP finds a valve that is right in design, appearance etc., but it is only available as a thermostatic valve, also no problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back