Electric Installation in a small downstairs toilet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking for some advice...

I'd like to have a central vacuum system fitted in my house. I think the only suitable location for the vacuum unit is probably on the wall in a small downstairs toilet.

The electrical socket for the supply to the unit could be mounted very high up by the ceiling, but the unit itself is quite big & would not be far above the toilet cistern.

Will the regulations prevent this sort of installation? or is there a way to make it possible?

Thanks,

John

Sponsored Links
I can't see why having the power unit in a toilet would be a problem, toilets are not a special location and it isn't at any significant risk of getting wet.

I'm not sure I see the point of such a system though, seems like it would be more trouble tha it's worth.

I can't see why having the power unit in a toilet would be a problem, toilets are not a special location and it isn't at any significant risk of getting wet.
Thks

I'm not sure I see the point of such a system though, seems like it would be more trouble tha it's worth.
Main reason is asthma and a house that always seems to be full of dust. Normal hoovering just seems to push the dust around sometimes. I'm hoping a central vacuum system will be good for the lungs. (That's what the sales blurb says anyway). I'd be interested to hear any opinions on these systems though.

[Also, we've just done a loft conversion & my wife is getting tired lugging the hoover up & down two flights of stairs - so I thought I'd try to help out. :) ]

I'd like to have a central vacuum system fitted in my house. I think the only suitable location for the vacuum unit is probably on the wall in a small downstairs toilet.

You would need to vent the exhaust to the outside of the house to prevent the very fine dust and odours from the dust collection getting back into the house. I have heard of these being mounted outside the house in a fibre glass enclosure.

Some of these units are very noisy

There is another thread on this topic.

Sponsored Links
Main reason is asthma and a house that always seems to be full of dust.
Get rid of all the carpets & the cat :eek: she's still asthmatic but after years of suffering, it worked well for my daughter :)

Just buy yourself a good (not bagless) vaccume cleaner (nilfisk or miele) with a certified HEPA filter. My miele 5280 is fantastic. It sucks up everything, including picking up the carpet when on full power.
These dyson's or others that claim they have HEPA filters really do not and are crap. You need a cleaner with a Certified HEPA filter. If it does not say it is certified and tested (most dont) then it will pass dust/ pollen through it. My old hoover bagless with HEPA filter would easily pass dust from sanding plaster (very big particles) through the supposed HEPA filter.
Also, wet/ dry vac's used on dry are the worst. they usually have no filter at all.

A Central vaccume seems very expensive and unnessecary to me.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back