Heater for toilet under stairs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone.

Mrs and I moved into our new house in early summer. Our house has a downstairs toilet, which honestly looks like a conversion of the cupboard under the stairs - it’s just a toilet and sink, with light and extractor fan on the wall. The stairs are against the outer wall of the house, so the downstairs toilet is too, and now as temperatures drop, particularly at night, the Mrs has noticed that the downstairs bathroom gets a bit cold, and she’s asked me about heating it.

It’s a small room, so I don’t think it would be too difficult to heat. We can’t leave the door open as the hallway outside is already quite narrow (only a little wider than a door). There’s a socket outside the bathroom, and I’m considering plugging a flex in here, and routing it up the wall and into the bathroom, where it would connect to a wall mounted heater of some sort.

Is this a workable solution? What sort of heater would be recommended?

Sponsored Links
Do you want to just take the chill off the air, or sit reading in a t-shirt? It's the smallest room in the house, so won't take much to heat it.

As a guess, assume the external wall is 5m2, insulated cavity wall U value 0.5 W/m2K, you want 20C when it's -2C outside. Heat loss=5x0.5x22 so 55W. Allow a bit more for air change, pick the 80W (34409). It's got a thermostat so won't overheat the loo once you've set it up. Stick it on a fused spur with a timer built in, job's done. Your wall size and U-value may be different, but you can work out your own heat loss now.

Of course, the extractor fan will soon suck the heat out, so you might want to think about replacing it with one with a built in shutter and delayed on function so it doesn't kick in when you pop in for a wee.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back