Two extractor fans in one room?

I would say one is a passive intake and the other the extractor.

Prefer to see rigid duct over those sort of lengths. Water can pool in that saggy duct.

Sponsored Links
I would say one is a passive intake and the other the extractor.

Prefer to see rigid duct over those sort of lengths. Water can pool in that saggy duct.

Ok this is interesting (and worrying).

I've been pulling/yanking/pushing these white polypipes to allow me to lay insulation around them. That was yesterday.

Last night, after we'd had a shower, we noticed that the carpet directly above part of the white polypipe run was quite wet, and underneath the carpet the flooring was wet also. We initially assumed that our shower is leaking, as the wet spot was right next to an internal partition, with the shower on the other side of the partition.

I'm still trying to work out whether it is the shower / shower drain at fault - see thread linked below.

However, could the wet spot be due to e.g. Water pooling in a sag in the polypipe run, a hole in the top of the white polypipe tunnels and some sort of capillary or condensing action?

//www.diynot.com/diy/threads/remove-plastic-panel-at-bottom-of-shower-enclosure.430285/

I would certainly expect the fan pipe to be rigid and sloping down towards the outside.

Having the 2 vents on the outside wall next to each other isn't ideal - the air exiting the fan could easily end up coming back in!

It sounds as though the fan (the square one) has failed, so needs investigating and possibly replacing.

As to whether the other vent serves much purpose I am not sure - the ceiling vent is certainly too closed - you should be able to drop it down and 'unscrew' the centre part a bit to allow it to flow more air.

I haven't seen this setup before, usually there is just a reasonable gap under the door to the room so that air can be drawn from the rest of the house (Unless your house is air tight!).

I'd be tempted to remove that vent and pipe.

Is one air in ... and the other air out via fan
Could one be extraction and the other inward to supply replacement air ?
That seems a definitely possibility. However, particularly if there is not much in the way of other ventilation into the room (gaps under doors etc.), and given how close the two are, isn't there a serious risk that the air will simply be coming in the 'in' one and then being extracted out by the 'out' one, with very little of the actual room air being extracted?!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
All toilets should have ventilation to the outside to remove smells etc.

Normally the fan should be controlled with an over run delay by the light switch.

It seems you fan may be seized up of faulty and should be maintained to work correctly.

Tony

Question one is have you any open flues? It is easy to cause a depression with extract fans and drawing in fumes from any fires is clearly a problem.

As already said for a shower or bathroom rigid piping with a slop to allow any moisture to drain is the norm for long runs and smooth walls mean more air moves but for a loo only I would not be really worried should not be getting rid of moisture anyway.

There are now some heat recovery units designed for a single vent but can't see how you would use when the in/out is so far from the wall.

I'm tempted to get rid of both the "in" and the "out".

Thoughts?

A toilet must have a vent to outside I believe, so if there is no window to outside in the room you must have one.

Otherwise the whole house will stink of poo poo! :)

About to lay the new flooring at weekend, can either of these flexi hoses be:-

(a) removed; or
(b) replaced with something with a smaller diameter than 100mm?

(a) removed; or
Per phatboy's implied question ... does this toilet have an openable window?

Kind Regards, John

(a) removed; or
Per phatboy's implied question ... does this toilet have an openable window?

Kind Regards, John

No. Do we actually need an intake and outtake pipe though?

If so, can we reduce the diameter of the flexi hose pipes?

you need at the very least an "out" pipe.

You cant make the hose smaller, you might be able to convert to "flat" ducting if you wanted, or better still, use 100mm rigid PVC instead of that crappy flexible stuff.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back