Electric toilet seat installation - 3 pin plug problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello.
I'm researching how to install an electric toilet seat bidet in a relative's bathroom (I say bathroom as opposed to WC). The room contains a shower cubicle with 2.5m tall enclosure, a sink and the toilet, with the toilet as far away from the shower as possible, but still not the regulation 3 metres that I understand are required if installing a 3 pin socket next to it.

I am trying to figure out what the options are. My latest idea is to run a line off the junction box for the upstairs light fittings, in the loft, which would be hard wired into the toilet seat. So, the line would come down through the ceiling, down the wall, pass through an RCD switch, and then to the toilet. No 3 pin plug in the room. Would that work? Or am I cruising for a Darwin award?

The seat will be purchased from a UK supplier, so will be 240v, and presumably compliant with applicable water regulations, etc. But if anyone can think of anything I should specifically check for, please let me know.

There is a 12v shaving socket above the sink, right next to the toilet. But I can't find any 12v toilet bidets on the market. If anyone knows of any, I'd be happy to look at that option, first.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
It's 2.5m now; be patient. :)

What is the problem?

You just need a Flex Outlet Plate or Fused Connector Unit near the toilet.

A 12V shaver socket?

FCU, or a flex outlet with FCU elsewhere.
It's only socket outlets which are not permitted.
You don't need an RCD is there is already one in the consumer unit.

presumably compliant with applicable water regulations
Where does the seat get it's water supply from?

The seat will be purchased from a UK supplier, so will be 240v, and presumably compliant with applicable water regulations,

To be compliant with water regulations may require some alterations to the plumbing.

The seat may be approved for supply in the UK but only on condtion that the pipework connected to it meets the requirements,

Sponsored Links
There is a 12v shaving socket above the sink, right next to the toilet. But I can't find any 12v toilet bidets on the market. If anyone knows of any, I'd be happy to look at that option, first.

Cheers

Unless this is in a boat or caravan, the shaver socket is likely to contain a transformer, fed from the mains supply, possibly the lighting circuit. Or the transformer might be above the ceiling.

Unless this is in a boat or caravan, the shaver socket is likely to contain a transformer, fed from the mains supply, possibly the lighting circuit. Or the transformer might be above the ceiling.
...and is probably 120V (and 240V)... never seen a 12V shaver.

... never seen a 12V shaver.
... nor have (had) I - but (I suppose not totally surprisingly) ...

1673209217776.png

Kind Regards, John

Guys, can we give it a rest over the 12v socket? I meant to write shaver socket, and for reasons only a brain surgeon could guess, I put 12v in there. Maybe I've been faffing with 12v stuff on the car, lately. I don't know. But my inbox is now full of updates on a debate about whether 12v shaving sockets exist!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back