Would this be notifiable?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm installing an electric bidet / toilet otherwise known as a washlet, washloo or Japanese toilet. It will be installed in a shower room outside of zone 2. The unit is supplied pre wired to a waterproof 3 pin plug. The socket side is then connected to a standard 3 pin mains plug. The Intention is to feed the cable through a wall to another room to plug into a wall socket.

I would describe this as a fixed bathroom appliance powered from an external source.

Simple question. Would this be regarded as notifiable work which need to be certified?

I should add that the appliance itself meets all UK electrical regs.

Sponsored Links
Notifiable:

Giving of building notice or deposit of plans

6. In regulation 12—
“(6A) A person intending to carry out building work in relation to which Part P of Schedule 1 imposes a requirement is required to give a building notice or deposit full plans where the work consists of—

(a)the installation of a new circuit;
(b)the replacement of a consumer unit; or
(c)any addition or alteration to existing circuits in a special location.”

“special location” means—
(a)
within a room containing a bath or shower, the space surrounding a bath tap or shower head, where the space extends—
(i)
vertically from the finished floor level to—
(aa)
a height of 2.25 metres; or
(bb)
the position of the shower head where it is attached to a wall or ceiling at a point higher than 2.25 metres from that level; and(ii)
horizontally—
(aa)
where there is a bath tub or shower tray, from the edge of the bath tub or shower tray to a distance of 0.6 metres; or
(bb)
where there is no bath tub or shower tray, from the centre point of the shower head where it is attached to the wall or ceiling to a distance of 1.2 metres; or
(b)
a room containing a swimming pool or sauna heater.”.

Certifiable:

There is the confusing misnomer where a registered electrician may notify the work after completion. This is for some unknown reason called self-certification, however -

all work should be tested, so you may as well write the results on an electrical certificate.

Sponsored Links
So, if I understand that correctly,

We can rule out 'b'
Does 'a' apply? Is it any different to say wall mounting an electric heater and plugging into an existing socket?
As it's more than .6m from the shower cubicle, does 'c(aa) mean it's not a special location?

Just been in touch with local authority building control who have advised me that this work would not be notifiable.

Just wondering though if it would be worth having a sparky test the installation, but apart from opening the plug and checking the connection, what exactly would he test? Would he pat test the appliance?

You cannot have a socket in a bathroom (unless very large) so where does a plug come into it?

Also, the circuit must have an RCD so it would be good to know that it works correctly - also that the earth wire is connected to earth and the cicuit is such that the MCB and RCD will in fact work as they should.

You cannot have a socket in a bathroom (unless very large) so where does a plug come into it?

You can if it's enclosed by the housing of the toilet and the wall and not accessible without the use of a tool!

True, but that socket still has to be connected in the same way as the bidet would be without it.

Do you think the bidet has an access panel?

See original post. The socket is located in adjacent room.

The entire house is fed by a new up to date consumer unit. All circuits are rcd protected.

There is an option to wire the bidet back to the consumer unit, but then of course it would be a new circuit and thus notifiable.

Perhaps a drawing will make it clearer?

2018-12-10  14:53:33.jpg
2018-12-10  14:53:33.jpg

Ok. In that case you don't need to do much.

It's a bit naff though.
You could have an FCU wired properly next to the WC (assuming the socket is not a spur).

Ok. In that case you don't need to do much.

It's a bit naff though.
You could have an FCU wired properly next to the WC (assuming the socket is not a spur).

It looks naff on the sketch but all the wiring is concealed as it's a concealed cistern behind a tiled wall.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back