Electrics tripping

Are the connections OK? A cable fault could be something cutting into it, such as a sharp edge on a backbox, a nail or screw into the cable, rodent damage, etc, or even a badly manufactured length of cable - Atlas Kablo comes to mind.

• Thanks
Reactions: m0t
Sponsored Links
Oh god don't mention rats, that'll send the missus crazy.

The connections are fine, nice and tight copper all clean.

It sounds like my best option is to try and pull a new bit of cable through, not an easy task given the route it takes. That way the cable can be ruled out.

Sponsored Links
Before you do that.

Your bidet thingy is on a plug. Why not run an extension lead to it from another circuit and just plug it in there for a week or so. If everything is AOK then you know you have a wiring fault, and that the problem is not the seat itself..
You may need to take precautions if the bidet thingy is in a bath/shower area.

• Thanks
... and PPS ...
upload_2017-10-5_22-29-38.png

Kind Regards, John

• Thanks
Are there any patterns prior to the trip ? e.g. both bidet and shower being used at the same time. You mentioned you are pulling the bidet feed from the shower feed; what is the shower's power rating? There is a chance the wiring is done incorrectly, and when loads are applied in a certain order it triggers a trip.

Also, since this is a bidet, there is a chance of water ingress. Where is the location of the plug? It's worth checking the wall socket for water ingress. This could be due to water unwittingly sprayed at the socket, condensation after a shower, a leak etc.

The issue is very sparse, so to better help diagnose maybe you can create a spreadsheet and make a note of all the devices that were running prior to the trip along with the date and time.

Finally, any chance you could post a pic of the FCU wiring? and the wiring between the 10mm and 2.5mm T&E? (if easily accessible and can be done safely).

Anyway, good to see some people take hygiene seriously. ;)

Last edited:
  • Thanks
There isn't a shower. We had the wiring installed but in the end realised that our combi was better than any electric shower would be.

Its happened twice so far, both times in the morning about twenty minutes after being turned on. After replacing the fuse it worked fine for an evening.

Initially I wondered if there was a water leak because it tripped about five minutes after our morning showers but couldn't see any leaks, the evening after I replaced the fuse we had a couple of showers and didn't trip it.

My first thought was that the element in the heater had failed but the water is still coming out warm or that there was a dodgy solder joint that was failing when the unit heated up but it sounds like the fuse in the plug not failing rules that out?

There isn't a shower. We had the wiring installed but in the end realised that our combi was better than any electric shower would be.

Its happened twice so far, both times in the morning about twenty minutes after being turned on. After replacing the fuse it worked fine for an evening.

Initially I wondered if there was a water leak because it tripped about five minutes after our morning showers but couldn't see any leaks, the evening after I replaced the fuse we had a couple of showers and didn't trip it.

My first thought was that the element in the heater had failed but the water is still coming out warm or that there was a dodgy solder joint that was failing when the unit heated up but it sounds like the fuse in the plug not failing rules that out?
Fuse in the FCU ? I am not talking about the plug, but the wall socket the plug connects to.
What's the make/model of the bidet ?

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Fuse in the FCU ? I am not talking about the plug, but the wall socket the plug connects to.
What's the make/model of the bidet ?

Samsung sbd970c Malaysian version.

Also, since this is a bidet, there is a chance of water ingress. Where is the location of the plug? It's worth checking the wall socket for water ingress. This could be due to water unwittingly sprayed at the socket....
Or worse, if the OP is a little unsteady on his feet on his return from the pub... :eek:

Plug is in a cupboard in an outdoor socket, no danger of getting any kind of fluid into it...

I plugged the seat in to an extension cable this afternoon and so far it's been behaving.

I did just notice an odd thing - whilst the seat is in use a halogen lamp in our living room started noticeably flickering. I've had both the toilet and lamp for years and never noticed it before.

Would whatever is causing the flickering be able to trip the electrics?

Yes it could, The flickering could be caused by something (the seat) drawing a lot of current and pulling the supply voltage down. (Or it could be a loose connection upstream such as the tails to the cu).
Maybe the loop impedence or PFC at the loo was low enough to blow things before (mostly 10mm cable so could be <0.3ohm), but the long extension takes it above the limit to trip things(your vacuum cleaner dims the lights for a moment but doesn't trip the fuses etc) how long is the extension lead you are using and is it plugged into a socket not close to the cu?
I'm suspecting the toilet is shorting out in some way.

Last edited:
  • Thanks
It's a 10m extension reel plugged into a socket on the downstairs ring that's probably 3m from the CU in terms of the cable run.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back