Toilet seat near CU

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

We've have just recently purchased a house.

In the downstairs cloakroom there is a toilet seat next to the consumer unit and elexctricity meter. We would like to install a sink there as well.

To my surprise, two electricians have not objected to this.
I thought we would be told to remove the toilet seat immediately to to the risk of water + electrics.

I'd like to have your opinion on this. Is it allowed by the current regs?

Sponsored Links
yes and no..

there is no regs saying that the CU can't be in the same room as a toilet and sink.. just rooms with a shower or bath..

it does however have to be suitable for external influences.. if it's in an area that's likely to get "splashed" then it needs to be waterproof... which I doubt the meter and such are..

Is it just a toilet seat, or is the rest of it attached? ;)

My father has a CU next to his toilet downstairs. Been that way since the house was built. He has a removeable timber surround covering the electrics.

No worries so far...

There is no sink there currently? I wonder why ;)

It is very common on new builds for the CU to be in the WC, and it has to be at the new height too - hence why it is in your face when you are sat down :)

Sponsored Links
and it has to be at the new height too

AFAIK there is no height requirement for CUs under Part M or have I missed something.

The only time I've re located a CU was when doing a flat conversion specifically for disabled.[/url]

Unfortuneatly there is - And as we do not do loads of house bashing, at our last NIC assessment, it was one of the questions we where asked. Lucky I had recently read it in a trade mag!

All new builds local to me have the CU in the garage or WC, and all are low down.

Interesting line of thought here:

If it weren't for cheap lamps on circuits fed by B6 breakers causing the breakers to trip out more than you'd possibly want... would CUs then be considered something that doesn't need to be accessable to a disabled resident?, afterall its acceptable for them to need to call a friend or relative to sayl, replace lamps in ceiling fittings, or clean the dust from an extraction fan.

Perhaps different BCOs have different takes on the matter... afterall I have seen a retirement house here that has the the CU above the front door... though it was a board manufactured by Chint... so the installer's eye for quality materials and workmanship could possibly be a little off ;)

I just took a look at approved document M (the relavent stuff starts on page 70) and it only seems to require "switches and socket outlets for lighting an other equipment". No mention of consumer units.

Of course that probablly won't stop some LABS and trade organisations like the NICEIC saying it is a requirement.

You mentioned the 'new height', just wondering where you read it and if it specifically mentions consumer units.

ive also read that the disboards have to be at the 'new height' ... isnt disboard a type of switch/control ?

and to me it makes sense (although my company dont do it) ...since what good is a light switch if u cant reach the MCB in the disboard thats tripped...

if you have a cupboard built around the meter then that will protect against splashes ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back