electric installation of 240v smoke alarms

T

timmyquick

I wish to install some 240v smoke alarms into my home which i want to conform to current regulations for electric installation for future testing of my house electrics when i sell my home in the future and am unsure how to install 2 240 v smoke alarms to comply as there seems to be conflicting advice on how to install can you simply wire then up to your exsisting lighting circuit protected by my current 5amp mcb or do you have to make a new circuit to the consumer unit with a 3 amp mcb which seems to be the advice i am getting. Any help much appreciated

Sponsored Links
Its is best on a separate circuit, but I beleive the accepted thing is that it can share a lighting circuit if it has a backup battery, but if it dosen't it must be on its own circuit, not 100% sure about it though

You can run it off the lighting circuit if there are no spare ways available in the CU but the circuit shouldn't go through the RCD.

For new installations I believe a 240v alarm must have a battery back up. They also need to be interconnected so that when one goes off the other sounds as well.

I fitted some linked mains ones and the maker's said ok to run off light circuit as long as no fluorescent lights on same circuit. Don't know if that applies to all smoke alarms or just mine.

Sponsored Links
Hi again there are no spare ways in the consumer unit and there is 1 big rcd before the consumer unit which does all the circuits for the consumer unit it is an old fuse wire consumer unit

Regulations state that you "should not" go through an RCD not "must not" so it's a preference.

In my opinion it's better to have the alarm fitted anyway.

As far as i recall, battery backed up ones can go on their own cct, or a lighting cct. MAINS only ones MUST go on a lighting circuit.

Strange rule...

I strongly disreccomend use on an RCD protected cct, and personally if it was allowed to use it on its own circuit, I would, notably as it says that it is not to be used on ccts with fluorescent lights. Should be noted that there is a likelihood of a fluorescent light being installed later, or a CF bulb being inserted...

ZenStalinist said:
Strange rule...

I strongly disreccomend use on an RCD protected cct, and personally if it was allowed to use it on its own circuit, I would, notably as it says that it is not to be used on ccts with fluorescent lights. Should be noted that there is a likelihood of a fluorescent light being installed later, or a CF bulb being inserted...

Strange but true.

If no battery back up, the circuit becomes essential - if your lights blow, you will get them fixed, if the circuit for the smokes blow, you aint gonna know.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back