Electric Mains Cable - How deep for trench?

G

gcltd

Hi, I have to dig out a trench accross my garden for new electric mains cable from the pavement.
Can anyone advise how deep the trench should be?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Regs say minimum 500mm. I personally go 600.

There should be a warning tape 150mm from the surface. IMO, it makes sense to have a layer of sand below and above the cable.

Specified depth for a DNO service cable is 450mm to the top of the cable, bedded in graded material (no sharp or large stones, bricks, etc. If it is DNO they will install marker tape or duct as both carry the DNO name.

If you are working with the DNO they should have specified all of this in their paperwork, if you haven't yet talked to them do so now before you do anything else.

Sponsored Links
Talk to the DNO about exactly where they will put the joint box connecting "your" cable to the cable in the street as this may affect the price they have to charge you depending on the work required.

My original plan was for the joint to be under my driveway but the DNO surveyor suggested it would save me a " few pennies" if it was located under the grass verge. This meant my trench had to be a couple of metres longer but the DNO's final invoice was less than half the price it would have been had the joint been under the driveway. Re-instatment of the ground was much cheaper and no "traffic" management was needed.

Hi, thanks, yes I have done the same, planned to dig out the drive but it would mean digging up the road, I'm also digging accross the garden as it will be jointed on the pavement saving lots of money. Thanks again

So the DNO are involved - you really need to get the trench specifications from them in writing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back