armoured cable depth

No. If there is a fault, either or both could trip.

That is very true, but I do sometimes wonder what can be done what is compliant to provide twin 30mA RCD redundancy. (If one 30mA RCD fails, the other 30mA RCD will operate.)

Sponsored Links
What do you mean?

You can have as many RCDs as you want.

If you want more than one, you may as well put them next to each other.

What do you mean?

I am sure I have read many times on here before that having two identical rated RCD's is not complaint as there is no discrimination between them of which one is going to operate in the event of a fault.

If you had one RCD covering, say, six MCBs and you then swapped the MCBs for RCBOs, it may be argued that that would be non-compliant (or just silly) because the one RCD might trip when any of the RCBOs tripped.

Two RCDs on the same circuit with no discrimination doesn't really matter electrically though, does it?
It may be a pain if one is in the garage and one in the house.

Sponsored Links
given I have a 25m real of armoured 2.5mm. should I just run 2 runs giving me 5mm. 30+ amp?

should I just run 2 runs giving me 5mm. 30+ amp?

No! That is not permitted and would not be compliant with BS7671. You can only have two runs as your proposing for Ring Final Circuits and that's using T&E internally and not SWA.

No! That is not permitted and would not be compliant with BS7671. You can only have two runs as your proposing for Ring Final Circuits and that's using T&E internally and not SWA.
Ever heard of parallel conductors?

Two RCDs on the same circuit with no discrimination doesn't really matter electrically though, does it? It may be a pain if one is in the garage and one in the house.
Quite so - and I can think of no reason why it should be 'non-compliant'.

Kind Regards, John

I assumed and took it that parallel conductors would not be allowed in such a situation where you have a DB at the shed end. You of course have the issue that one of the Line/Neutral conductors could come lose/become disconnected, thus reducing the current carrying capacity by half of the circuit should it be fed by a 32A or greater MCB.

installed by the sparkies is on a 2.5mm Spur (so 20A) So, I'd say 20A design - fused at 13A will be plenty

I missed that part, if the spur feeds a FCU what in turn feeds your shed/man cave, then 2.5mm² SWA will be fine taking into account length and voltage drop of course from the original DB.

I assumed and took it that parallel conductors would not be allowed in such a situation where you have a DB at the shed end. You of course have the issue that one of the Line/Neutral conductors could come lose/become disconnected, thus reducing the current carrying capacity by half of the circuit should it be fed by a 32A or greater MCB.

installed by the sparkies is on a 2.5mm Spur (so 20A) So, I'd say 20A design - fused at 13A will be plenty

I missed that part, if the spur feeds a FCU what in turn feeds your shed/man cave, then 2.5mm² SWA will be fine taking into account length and voltage drop of course from the original DB.

Reasonably common in high current carrying industrial installs, but then industrial installations are sometimes subjected to maintenance and inspection. I wouldn't suggest it is suitable for a domestic install when it is straightforward to do it with a single cable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back