Electric Meter box

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

My electric meter box has a broken door and is stuck on with tape. Is this the kind of thing I need a qualified expert in to do for me, by law, or can I DIY it?

I'm happy either way... with someone professional they'd know exactly what I needed to buy and could fit it well for me... at a cost, if I was allowed to do it myself then I'd probably like to give it a shot, but I don't even know what I need to buy yet (I'm assuming it's a standard electric meter box, but I know nothing about them yet as I've not started my research)... but I won't if it's something a layperson should not be doing.

Sponsored Links
Crikey, I can just buy a door, it seems... nice. If it's the door that's broken, I'll take a closer gander, maybe it's the hinge fitted to the main part.

The door has "Hepworth Building Products" and "PO-030" written on the back of it. The right-hand hinges both appear to be broken - no metal prongs. It looks, to me, like this is what I need to buy...

http://www.meterboxes.co.uk/product...-electricity-meter-box-right-hand-hinged.html

...can't go wrong for £26... comes to £31.20 in the end, which is cheaper than the same item at Amazon (£32.14, actually from the same seller I believe).

Sponsored Links
Ordered on Thursday. Delivered on Friday. Fitted on Friday. Job done. Even got a little plastic meter key free.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back