Electric meter rEd display, does this mean all is OK?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Solar panels have been fitted, and my worry was exported power could be charged for as imported power when one does not have a smart meter fitted. However there is a red lamps on steady, and it displays rEd which is seems means reverse energy detected so it seems I am not being charged for energy exported.

I don't see what the smart meter does if this is the case, my app shows what is going on LuxPowerView 13.34.jpg how much imported/exported, how much the panel is producing, and battery state and how much that is charging/discharging it also says what voltage and the frequency, how that helps I don't know.

So it seems all is working as it should, but I stand to be corrected, I expect the guys back on Tuesday to work out what to do about the UPS, and looking at the app there seems to be some odd things going on, this LuxPowerView 08.41.jpg at 8:41 am today shows the panel is producing 313 watts and house using 315 watts, but we are importing 90 watt and putting 56 watt into the battery, this seems wrong, 313 + 90 = 403 and 315 + 56 = 371 so they don't match, and also why is it charging the battery anyway?

I note the battery never goes lower than 10% I assume so some reserve for the UPS, but the UPS is not connected yet, and 35 kWh would not really run a freezer or central heating for long. OK once in daylight the panels will be giving power so 10% only for overnight UPS, but if there is some thing wrong want to know now, not after I have settled the bill.

Sponsored Links
There is some energy lost as heat in the electronics etc, so you will never get the numbers to balance.

Are the losses you are seeing reasonable? I don't know, are there any efficiency figures for the design?

Sounds like your current meter isn't recording how much energy is being sent back to the grid, only detecting the fact it is happening.

A smart meter would measure the amount going back to the grid so you could be paid for the energy exported if you are on a tartiff that supports that.

Sponsored Links
Solar panels have been fitted, and my worry was exported power could be charged for as imported power when one does not have a smart meter fitted. However there is a red lamps on steady, and it displays rEd which is seems means reverse energy detected so it seems I am not being charged for energy exported.

I don't see what the smart meter does if this is the case, my app shows what is going on View attachment 313578 how much imported/exported, how much the panel is producing, and battery state and how much that is charging/discharging it also says what voltage and the frequency, how that helps I don't know.
The inverter has to monitor these values to drop off-grid if they're out of spec so it may as well display them, you can also find these values in the smart meter display menu which I keep having to look at as the comms unit hasn't hasn't worked on mine since I bought the place.

I want to see the paperwork before they get final payment, there it seems will be a whole bunch, installation certificate, compliance certificate, g99 certificate etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back