Electric meter upside down ok?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Quick question;

We've had some rewiring down and in the process shifted the consumer unit and electric meter. The meter has four large cables coming from/going to the bottom of, all of which approach it from above. We're trying to get the cables right over into the corner and out of the way, but them having to loop around the meter box itself takes up more room.

It occurs to me that if the meter unit was upside down the cables could be pushed right over and they would provide more slack above as well.

Is having the meter unit upside ok legally? Should I go back to the electrician to ask him to flip it over?

Will attach a photo if I can.

Sponsored Links
Do NOT move the meter

Moving it will disturb the cables in the meter's terminations. This could loosen the terminations which will create hot spots when current flows. Worst case the meter gets burnt.

The meter belongs to your electricity supplier, it is NOT your property.
As such neither you or your electrician has any rights to move it or interfere with it in any way!
Similarly the cut-out belongs to your DNO, so should not be interfered with in any way.

As regards legality, yep it is totally illegal to do what you suggest.
Get in touch with the supplier or DNO and get them to do the job!

Ok, just to confirm what we're talking about its this thing;

Unfortunately the photo is on its side. Imagine the left hand side is the top.

We haven't moved the thing with the huge thick cable coming into it, the electrician said the supplier or whoever would need to do that and it would cost a lot so we've just moved that counter bit over. He said the wires to it before were shot so he replaced those.

He did say he'll supply certificate for all the work so I assumed everything he was doing was legal (other than my idea of flipping it over?)

Sponsored Links
why not put it upright and lean it forward about 45 degress and hey presto the thing will stop spinning, in my youth nearly every house on my council estate had had there meter boards detached and put on a lean forward chain, for most of us that meant we could eat!!

So the electrician has probably broken the seal on the meter - ILLEGAL
The electrician has probably broken the seal on the cut-out - ILLEGAL
The electrician has removed the main fuse from the cut-out which is - ILLEGAL and in breech of the Electricity at Work Regulations (part of the Health & Safety at Work Act), in addition has probably not used the appropriate protective equipment, or had the appropriate training to do so.

And by supplying a certificate for the work thinks it will be all right.

Apart from the above he/you have in some ways put yourself in breech of your supply contact and the supplier or DNO could permanently disconnect your supply as a result.

So the electrician has probably broken the seal on the meter - ILLEGAL
The electrician has probably broken the seal on the cut-out - ILLEGAL
The electrician has removed the main fuse from the cut-out which is - ILLEGAL and in breech of the Electricity at Work Regulations (part of the Health & Safety at Work Act), in addition has probably not used the appropriate protective equipment, or had the appropriate training to do so.

And by supplying a certificate for the work thinks it will be all right.

Apart from the above he/you have in some ways put yourself in breech of your supply contact and the supplier or DNO could permanently disconnect your supply as a result.

Hmmm well, here's me thinking it was a reasonable case of unscrewing the thing from the bit of wood it was on and moving it over as far as it could go.

In light of this, and the fact I still find the thing in the way, is it perhaps a better option to contact the supplier or DNO(?) to get something modern and hopefully smaller installed? Any idea on cost?

Not good. with the meter moved and the seals broken you may have to prove you have not been stealing electricity.

You might be better of by contacting the DNO and your electricity supplier ( they are not the same company ) and coming clean. They will likely want to speak to the "electrician" as well.

We haven't moved the thing with the huge thick cable coming into it,
At least the "electrician" has a little bit of common sense. But even pulling the fuse without the proper procedure could have damaged the internals. If they are damaged and the internals short out you could have a major fire there.

is it perhaps a better option to contact the supplier or DNO

Contact the supplier if just for the meter, in fact some do quote prices for simple moves on their websites.

They may change the meter but are under no obligation to do so

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back