Electric Motor Capacitor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone tell me what function the capacitor connected to an electric motor performs? I have an ALKO garden shredder which runs forward or backward - apparently randomly on switch on and I am guessing the problem could be with the capacitor. It is single phase, 1100watts. Cheers

Sponsored Links
The are several different types of single phase motor. If yours only has one capacitor then it is likely to be a PSC type (Permanent split capacitor). This has two separate windings spaced 90 degrees apart with a run capacitor connected in series with the start winding. If there is a break in the start winding (or the capacitor is defective) the motor will not start loaded. However it may start unloaded. But then it will tend to start randomly in either direction (these are typical symptoms of this type of fault). These motors are easily reversed via a simple switch.
Read more http://neilorme.com/psc_motor.shtml

Thanks very much Zipper. I think you may have the answer I need. I was not totally honest. I got this shredder as a dump and realised from what little info I had that there should have been a capacitor in circuit but did not why. I think I can move forward now. Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back