Electric oven and hob replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello
I am about to replace oven and hob, should be like for like but noticed my hob has 3 ports for live 2 for nutral and an earth.
Would like to ask can you use any live to live? and nutral to nutral?
and why do they have 3 and 2 options?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
You might find a bag of metal links to link the 3 lives and the 2 neutrals. If not, make a couple of loops of wire, the same size as you use to wire the hob.

On the continent they sometimes have 3 phase wiring for their cookers, because the wiring system cannot sustain large loads like a whole hob. If you had 3 phase, it'd be the 3 phases to the 3 lives. Not sure why it has 2 neutrals. If you read the instructions (MI's) you might find out (though I wouldnt expect a DIYer to understand the stupidly cryptic multi-lingual diagrams in the MI's to be honest)

Youw will only have single phase, so just link out the appropriate terminals. If you only connect to one, you will find only 1 or 2 rings will work.

Hello Steve

Thanks for reply, it does have links from one to the other, in that case does it matter what terminal i connect to? the MI's just state 3 live 2 nutral and earth without saying you must connect to a preferd one of the 3. yet if i trace the 3 lives under the case i can see that 2 have wires and spade clips and 1 does not? and by the looks of diagram the port with no spade clip is there preferd connectiion.
Im curious as to why.
Thanks

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back