Electric Oven Tripping RCD - Not the heating element?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the first thing for the OP to do, given that we know he has a multimeter, is to make a resistance test between the element and its housing, using the multimeter on its highest resistance range. Anything much less than off the scale means it has a fault. Of course this will only be a test at 3V or so, so an infinite reading doesn't mean the element is OK, but a low reading will certainly prove it to be faulty.
I thought of suggesting that, and it would certainly do no harm to do it - it's just possible that he will find a low enough resistance (as you say anything 'sub-infinity') to indicate a fault. However, I rather doubt that he would find that, since he says that the RCD trips do not occur until the element has been running for 5-10 mins (hence extremely hot). Indeed, even IR testing the element when cold might not reveal any problem.

Kind Regards, John

Thanks everyone for the replys.

Im going to bite the bullet and try one more element.

Sponsored Links
Hi All,

Ive had no luck.

Bought a genuine new replacement element. Plugged it in and after 15 mins when the oven got hot the RCD went off again.

Switched the oven to a low setting and Reset the RCD. The oven then after 5 seconds tripped again.

Could a faulty oven thermostat trip the RCD?

Im thinking of replacing it to find out?

Ive had no luck. Bought a genuine new replacement element. Plugged it in and after 15 mins when the oven got hot the RCD went off again.
I'm sorry to hear that.
Switched the oven to a low setting and Reset the RCD. The oven then after 5 seconds tripped again. Could a faulty oven thermostat trip the RCD?
Not impossible. Had the oven cooled right down before you turned the setting down and reset the RCD? If not, I would suggest you try that - with the oven totally cold, turn the oven on set to the very lowest temperature setting. If it is operation of thermostat which is causing the trip, one would then expect that to happen much more rapidly than if you switched it on at a high setting.

Kind Regards, John

Thanks for all the help guys, but here is where im at and im open to any more suggestions.

I got a friend who is an electrician in and he checked that the wires at the back to make sure they were not arching he cut off any suspect wiring and put new terminals onto where the heating element was as they were a bit lose.

He tested the thermostat when it was on and was not getting a reading.

He suggested trying a new thermostat as it wasnt working.

I fitted the thermostat which took ages as I had to take every panel off the oven and had to take the whole front console out.

I tested the oven at 100c using a manual oven thermometer and the thermostat manged to keep it at that tempretaure and it didnt trip after 15mins

I tried it at 150c and the oven was fine and did not trip after 15 mins.

I then tried 200c and the RCD tripped at approx 180c.

Has anyone else got any more ideas?

Christmas is coming and it would be good to have 2 ovens.

P.S Does this sound like it could be a faulty cooker control switch?

Sponsored Links
Do *all* the other functions of the oven unit work correctly and when warm/hot and without any trips ?

Just wondering if the bottom oven is heating something else (faulty) up and it is that (N-E) that is tripping the RCD.

Do *all* the other functions of the oven unit work correctly and when warm/hot and without any trips ?

Just wondering if the bottom oven is heating something else (faulty) up and it is that (N-E) that is tripping the RCD.

All other functions on the oven unit work. Its a double oven and I use the top oven all the time. I used it to cook my tea tonight on full blast.

The only other function on the oven is a mechanical timer. The double oven is an electrolux eou41000x

The more I look for an answer it always points to a faulty element but this is the third one I have tried?

Any other ideas guys.

http://www.electrolux.co.uk/Support/Troubleshooter/Trouble-shooter-other-solutions/

Searching for parts for your oven
http://shop.electrolux.co.uk/search...bs&filter=ATTRIBUTE_PartType:Heating+Elements

brings up 2 elements for main oven

1 x 2500 Watt Fan Oven Heating Element

1 x 1000 Watt Lower Oven Element

Got some more info.

I tried buying a genuine main oven element from electrolux. I was supprised that the 2 previous main oven "genuine" elements from ransom spares looked totally different and wasnt genuine as stated.

I gave the new element a go and the element worked in a test for approx 30 mins before it tripped the RCD.

I did notice something though? It seems the oven cooling fan wasnt kicking in all the time and the oven woked fine when the oven cooling fan was working.

I was cooking something without watching the oven like a hawk and I think the oven cooling fan wasnt working and the RCD tripped again and the oven wouldnt even start as it just tripped the RCD instantly. I think the new oven element has blown.

Would a faulty oven cooling fan cause the element to get to hot and blow?

The strange thing is the top oven works and the oven cooling fan works all the time when its on?

Check for highlimit stat/sensor protecting element , I had 1 last year , was fan jammed from worn rubber spacer, fixed that and it worked. Sensor was fitted into tube on top of main oven. It's not a cooling fan.

the oven woked fine when the oven cooling fan was working.
As I said on the 26th, something on the control board is overheating.

Check for highlimit stat/sensor protecting element , I had 1 last year , was fan jammed from worn rubber spacer, fixed that and it worked. Sensor was fitted into tube on top of main oven. It's not a cooling fan.

Wish I had noticed the cooling fan not kicking in earlier and would have been able to find what was wrong with the control board.

I will have a look at the sensor swampy2 and then try the control board stillp.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back