Electric Oven Tripping RCD - Not the heating element?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi im a long time user of diynot and thought I would register.

I have a bit of a problem.

I have a double oven that I've been using for 5 years. Now and again the heating element goes in the bottom oven so I replace it.

I thought the element went again so I replaced it, but its tripping the RCD after the oven runs for 5-10 mins.

I thought I was sent a faulty element so I did a continuity test with a multimeter on the element and im getting the right reading.

Im trying to work out what is tripping the RCD?

Can the wrong watt element make the RCD trip e.g using a 2500 watt insead of a 2000 watt? I may of bought the wrong one.

Can a faulty thermostat trip the RCD?

The top oven works fine so I dont think its the RCD.

Sponsored Links
Just because an element shows continuity does not mean it isn't faulty.

You need to carry out an insulation test between the element terminals and earth.

Believe it or not new elements can have moisture in which can leak to earth and trip the rcd.

Edited....

But I was still advised that.

That's one of the stupidest, most dangerous and irresponsible posts I've seen on here in many a long year.

This must not be done ever, and could result in someone being killed. :eek:

Sponsored Links
Now edited but I can guess what he said. I have used a insulation tester with passable results but as the element warms up the moisture moves and causes the RCD to trip. Although drying out the element i.e. sticking it in another oven can get them working again the problem is the seal is clearly gone so next time something is spilt in the oven then the fault is back so likely best way is new good element.

The only element needs testing with an insulation tester which uses 500v not continuity. 612.5.2 states one megohm as pass mark when tested at 500v so if it shows less than that there should be no problem in returning the item.

The only element needs testing with an insulation tester which uses 500v not continuity. 612.5.2 states one megohm as pass mark when tested at 500v so if it shows less than that there should be no problem in returning the item.
All true. The problem, of course, is that very few DIYers will have, or have access to, an IR tester.

Kind Regards, John

All true. The problem, of course, is that very few DIYers will have, or have access to, an IR tester.

Kind Regards, John
You are right of course which made me start thinking about ways around the problem. If the element is bought from your local store then likely they would test it but with internet that's a problem.

As to if you went element in hand to an electrical contractors office and asked them to test it if they would oblige I don't know. Likely they would to forward customer relations.

I was surprised when the local council sent an electrician from local contractor to do some work he did not seem to have any test equipment. Seemed rather upset when I asked for minor works certificate which reminds me I never got it.

So ideas of how "ajmedia" can get the element tested?

I have been thinking about it and if there is anything on the element which would be damaged if it were baked for 1/2 hour in friend or neighbours oven? Just not sure so not too keen on that idea. (Not a gas oven too much moisture from gas) as long as above boiling temperature should drive out moisture but clearly would damage any plastic bits and would stop one being able to return it.

So come on lads ideas of how this guy can go forward.

If this element is not installed/disconnected does the RCD trip then?
Does it only trip on a particular function setting?

If this element is not installed/disconnected does the RCD trip then?
Does it only trip on a particular function setting?
Since to remove the element will likely mean there are lose live cables I do not think that is a valid test. I had thought about using the other oven to heat the element and drive out water but did not suggest that as it would likely mean live wires left lose.

I think around a 90% chance of faulty element, but the question is without a mega how can a DIY guy prove it's the element? It is clearly a problem for a tradesman to understand as we do have a mega to hand.
The top oven works fine so I dont think its the RCD.
So clearly is something to do with bottom oven element.

I'm sure I have heard that it is quite common for elements to develop hairline cracks, and to be a bit damp when cold, but still not really be "faulty" as in "in need of replacement".

Answer might be to find a way to supply the cooker without needing an RCD.

Since to remove the element will likely mean there are lose live cables I do not think that is a valid test.
Not if one uses ones nogin, there is nothing and no one, preventing the terminal ends from be protected against accidental contact.
Whilst perform this!

I'm sure I have heard that it is quite common for elements to develop hairline cracks, and to be a bit damp when cold, but still not really be "faulty" as in "in need of replacement".

Answer might be to find a way to supply the cooker without needing an RCD.
Before 2008 I would have agreed but once RCD protection is added then remove it again would likely mean using SWA or Ali-tube cable to feed it and this would clearly be more of a problem than replacing the element.

Again before 2008 I have heard of suppliers and insurers blame the use of an RCD for tripping and lose of food in fridge/freezer but post 2008 they have to accept there is RCD protection on every circuit.

If it were mine I may have temporary swapped the RCBO for a MCB to dry out the element, but I think it is unreasonable to ask anyone to do this especially as likely the fault will return at some time.

We are all 90% certain it's the element at fault and since new returning as faulty seems to be the answer however before returning one really wants to be 100% and only way is with insulation tester so really no option but find some one who will test it for them.

You are right of course which made me start thinking about ways around the problem. ... So come on lads ideas of how this guy can go forward.
I would consider two options - firstly, simply return (or take back) the element saying that it was causing RCDs trips - they might well just replace it. If that fails, or is not possible, then it probably comes down to how much the element costs - if it's not too expensive, it could well be that (frustrating though it would be) to simply buy another would be the most 'pragmatic' solution.

Kind Regards, John

I think the first thing for the OP to do, given that we know he has a multimeter, is to make a resistance test between the element and its housing, using the multimeter on its highest resistance range. Anything much less than off the scale means it has a fault. Of course this will only be a test at 3V or so, so an infinite reading doesn't mean the element is OK, but a low reading will certainly prove it to be faulty.

I think the first thing for the OP to do, given that we know he has a multimeter, is to make a resistance test between the element and its housing, using the multimeter on its highest resistance range. Anything much less than off the scale means it has a fault. Of course this will only be a test at 3V or so, so an infinite reading doesn't mean the element is OK, but a low reading will certainly prove it to be faulty.
I thought of suggesting that, and it would certainly do no harm to do it - it's just possible that he will find a low enough resistance (as you say anything 'sub-infinity') to indicate a fault. However, I rather doubt that he would find that, since he says that the RCD trips do not occur until the element has been running for 5-10 mins (hence extremely hot). Indeed, even IR testing the element when cold might not reveal any problem.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back