electric shower attached to mains

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I apologize if i have placed this is the wrong forum or the topic has already been covered but i've been searching the net so long im starting to see double, this is my first post so please be patient with me if i have not described my issue properly.

I recently had a flood in my house from the cold storage tank and the decision i made right or wrong now im unsure was to be connected to the mains from now on. My problem is that since that time my shower pressure isnt great. It was always low but now its really bad. The pressure from the taps in the bath and sink in the bathroom is great as is the pressure in the kitchen, it seems to be isolated to the shower. i have an 8.5KWz triton shower, and a combi boiler from all i have read its against water reg to install a pump to mains fed showers, so my question is what type of shower is the best for me to buy to improve my shower pressure? Or is there another option( without going back to the cold storage tank) i haven't thought of?

thanks Debbie

Sponsored Links
If your water pressure is good elsewhere it should be ok for the shower if its mains fed,have you checked the obvious like the filter into the shower?

Sponsored Links
hi yes I have check the filters and all the normal issues like debis in the pipe etc but no change

Is your main stopcock turned fully on?

Is it possible that an isolating valve feeding the shower has been adjusted, and not fully turned back on, sometimes they appear to be fully on, but the actual valve inside hasn't turned as it should?

After that, I'd be having a hard look for disturbed debris in the pipework,
can you disconnect shower & determine the flow & work backwards?

Good luck

You have an electric shower but have no need for one if you have a combination boiler. An 8.5kw electric shower will only off the top of my head give you a flow rate of about 7 litres per min at 40C. If you have good hot water pressure elsewhere in the house it's because it is running off the boiler. You haven't said what size boiler you have but a 28kw combination boiler will still give you approx 11.5 - 12 litres per min at 40C much better than an electric shower. I have based my response on the guess that you only have one bathroom in the house.

If this is the case you can get rid of the electric shower and fit a shower suitable for a combination boiler (B&Q or any plumbing centre could tell you which one)

You have an electric shower but have no need for one if you have a combination boiler. An 8.5kw electric shower will only off the top of my head give you a flow rate of about 7 litres per min at 40C. If you have good hot water pressure elsewhere in the house it's because it is running off the boiler. You haven't said what size boiler you have but a 28kw combination boiler will still give you approx 11.5 - 12 litres per min at 40C much better than an electric shower. I have based my response on the guess that you only have one bathroom in the house.

If this is the case you can get rid of the electric shower and fit a shower suitable for a combination boiler (B&Q or any plumbing centre could tell you which one)

Sorry this may sound like a stupid question im starting to think my logic has been wrong, how do i know whether my shower runs from the cold mains or my combi boiler? And if i can have a shower which runs from my combi boiler would i require any rewiring as my bathroom a completley tiled?

Thanks

I'm summising that your water tank was taken out when your combi boiler was fitted (it should have been) If that's the case and your bathroom hasn't been re furbed since, your electric shower will still be connected via the mains. Your electric shower will only have one water feed into it ie the cold mains. If you're not sure isolate the shower electricity supply and take off the front cover and have a look (as well as a switch, the shower will or rather should have a separate cable and fuse into your fuse box. You should isolate it from there.

You won't need any cable to run a shower from your combi boiler but you will need a hot and cold feed. Therefore to avoid any re-tiling you could change your bath taps to incorporate ones that have an integral shower hose.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back