Electric shower cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just bought a 10,5Kw electric shower to replace the 8,5Kw one which has worked happily for 10years and now failed. The 8,5Kw unit is wired with 6mm T&E which I'm told is not suitable for the newer unit. Is 10mm T&E enough or does it need to be 16mm? The cable run is about 15Metres. Shower is to be fitted professionally, but I can get cable cheap through contact, and can fit this.

Sponsored Links
It may not be quite as straight forward as that. You will need 10mm T+E for a 10.5kW shower. You'll also need to replace the circuit protection as this will need a 50Amp MCB and the existing one is, probably, a 40Amp one. If you have a modern CU, this will be no problem, if not, it may entail upgrading the CU or installing a dedicated CU for the shower with RCD protection (or even an RCBO - just to please John D). In addition, as the existing unit is over 10 years old, it may be that the supplementary bonding is not up to spec for this, basically, new installation.

http://www.niceic.org.uk/downloads/NL139supp.pdf
This will explain what I mean.

Don't forget, this is notifiable work and must involve Building Control or be carried out by a Part P self certifier, hopefully, your professional will be aware of this requirement.

Sponsored Links
your consumer unit may or may not be up to the job either. for a fairly definite answer, post a picture of it here.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back