Electric shower cold in morning

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, can anyone help please?
I have a Triton Zante electric shower and it has started to run cold in the mornings (generally between 7.30 & 8ish). There is no pressure and this barely changes when I adjust the temperature.
When I've tried again later on in the day it seems to be running totally normally again.
Can anyone advise on what the problem may be?
Much thanks.

Sponsored Links
Hello Hannah,

So, what you're saying is: at a certain time of day, the amount of water flowing out of the shower drops, and it comes out cold? Does the red light on the shower go off too?

If so, I wonder whether the water pressure/flow rate to your house/flat is dropping when all your neighbours are having showers/baths. Do you live in a flat? Does the water coming out of the cold taps seem a bit "feeble" too at that time of day?

I had this once in a grim terraced house I rented in Birmingham, and it was caused by the underground water pipe to the terrace having quite a bad leak in it. Until found, the only "solution" was to have a shower in the evening instead :(

Hi Chris, thanks for your message.

The water pressure doesn't seem to less powerful when its running cold, but the red light (well, its more a red & green colour which changes rather than a light) is there when I switch it on. Previously it would sometimes show red if the toilet had been flushed but it would only take a matter of seconds to go back to green again. This isn't happening now.

I'm in a maisonette with only 1 person in the other flat, so I'm not sure if this means its less likely to be due to shared usage? The water pressure from the cold tap seems to be normal as well.

Do you know how I could find out whether its a water pressure/water leak problem?

...the red light (well, its more a red & green colour which changes rather than a light) is there when I switch it on. Previously it would sometimes show red if the toilet had been flushed but it would only take a matter of seconds to go back to green again. This isn't happening now.
What do you mean by that, Hannah?

Now, if someone flushes the toilet while the shower's on, what does the light do?

C.

Sponsored Links
The red is constant, from when the shower goes on for about half an hour. Flushing the toilet or turning on the tap doesn't affect the light or the flow of the water. The red only changes to green after about half an hour of trying to fiddle about with switching the shower on or off (or perhaps the change is just to do with the time of day)

Thanks,
Hannah

If there is no change in the water pressure coming out, the chances are it will have something to do with the pressure sensing inside the unit especially if the light is flickering.
Not overly familiar with this unit but sounds like a common fault on like units. :confused:

I think you should also consider the 'rise' in the temperature is limited by the size of the elements and the flow.
It has been quite cold last few days so it's not going to get as hot as it did.
What size wattage is the shower 7.5k, 8.5k, 9.5k or 10.5k

If your low pressure is showing red when the toilet or other tap is running
and you state it happens in the mornings and is ok later in the day sounds like you are running on the border line of low mains pressure from your supply.
I would start by getting your static/dynamic pressure checked ie early morning and maybe afternoon.
It sounds like a common low pressure issue in peak periods.

Thanks very much to everyone for their replies.

This morning it was fine for 5 mins (around 7.30am) then the pressure and temperature started to go a bit haywire..

Seco Services - could you advise as to how I get the static/dynamic pressure checked?

Butting in :oops:
Electric showers need a minimum of 1 bar pressure, and usually considerably higher than that.
A pressure gauge (Screwfix 82412) fits to a washing machine tap, and its a useful start to your investigations.
John :)

Just to confirm, the Zante II shower needs a minimum pressure of 1 bar, and a minimum flow rate of water at 9 litres per minute.
If your shower can't get that, it won't perform well or at all.
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back